Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replacement Light. Bulb only or entire fixture?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replacement Light. Bulb only or entire fixture?

Hi guys, looking to change out the light in our pool.

We have a fixture similar to this one (about $250 online for the entire fixture and lamp)

And I am curious, do you need to change the entire fixture and wiring out, or can you just replace the light bulb with something like this?

Feit Electric 400R/FL 400-Watt R40 120-Volt Pool/Spa Flood Reflector - Halogen Bulbs - Amazon.com

I looked at the fixture this morning and it does appear that there is a way to remove the lens to get inside the fixture but wasn't sure how "sealed" from the factory they were and if you had to replace the whole unit when the lamp goes out.
    Steve
    22,041 IG Vinyl Fiberglass Steps (Built 1990-ish), Dura-Glas Pump, Baker II Series Sand Filter HR-24, TF100 Test Kit w/speedstir
    475 Gallon Caldera Utopia Series Geneva 6 person spa
    Mount Pleasant Wi.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replacement Light. Bulb only or entire fixture?

I have that exact same fixture and am in the process of fixing mine too. There is a screw at the top of the light( the gold one in this picture). Take that screw out and the whole fixture will come off of the wall. You can do it with the water in the pool. The decorative part is just a trim ring. It will stay on the pool. Well that's how mine is anyways.
    I think I have to replace my entire fixture.
    14.5k gallon IG, Vinyl Liner, Hayward SuperPump (1HP 220v motor), Hayward DE Filter
    Polaris Booster Pump, 2 skimmers and one bottom drain, 5 returns.
    ~My Tremendous SLAM thread~

3. Back To Top    #3

Bulb and seal is all it will need. (If the seal isn't hard/brittle/stretched you may be able to reuse it, but if there any doubt purchase a new seal.)

If you want you can check a local home depot/lowes. They sell pool bulbs there.

General idea how it's done: How To: Replace A Swimming Pool or Spa Light - YouTube
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Cool thanks guys,

Mine is already out of the pool laying next to the diving board. Previous owners must have taken it out when they closed the pool. I'll pull it apart tonight and inspect the rubber seal, probably buy a new one looks like they are like $8 on amazon just to be safe. New gold screw was about $6 on there too. Light bulb itself was anywhere from $20 on up.

Any real benefit to going with a LED lamp instead of the incandescent like these come? pretty close to quadruple the price other than the color changing feature?
    Steve
    22,041 IG Vinyl Fiberglass Steps (Built 1990-ish), Dura-Glas Pump, Baker II Series Sand Filter HR-24, TF100 Test Kit w/speedstir
    475 Gallon Caldera Utopia Series Geneva 6 person spa
    Mount Pleasant Wi.

5. Back To Top    #5

I upgraded my Amerlite to the 12v LED fixture Pentair Intellibrite 5g 601011. Pricey but a really nice light effect at night. I like it.
    18x36 IG vinyl 18,000 gal, Hayward super pump 1hp - 1.5" pipe, Pentair Triton TR-60 sand, Pentair Itellichlor IC-40 SWG, Pentair Intellibrite 5G 12v color LED light, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward Booster pump, Intermatic Power / Timers.

6. Back To Top    #6

Any recommendations on a LED replacement for a 400-Watt Incandescent R40 120 volt bulb?

The only replacement i see is a Halco LED R40 18W 6500K DIMMABLE E26 PROL

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a fixture that appears to be identical to the one above. I had it out because my light wasn't working, and of course, opened it up to test the bulb. Ended up it was a problem at my junction box, which I fixed. Rather than re-install the old incandescent bulb, I decided why not take a chance on an LED replacement bulb.

Took a chance on this Halco bulb:
    Halco 80136 - LED - 18W - R40 - 6500K Full Spectrum

12volt model, uses just 18 watts. Replaced what was probably a 300w incandescent. I absolutely love the color. At 6550 kelvin color temperature, it's quite bluish compared to a typical incandescent. Exactly what I was hoping for, and I didn't have to spend hundreds on a new fixture.
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Okay, this picture is probably more useful than my general description...
    20150509_225426.jpg
    15k in-ground plaster, Hayward C900 cartridge, 3/4hp single speed pump, Barracuda G2 cleaner, TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

That's nice. Do you have a before picture?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

10. Back To Top    #10

Not at night, sorry. I've only owned the house about 10 months, and the pool light stopped working not too long after I bought it. So no pics with the old incandescent.