Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Blowing out main drain running through skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

South Central PA

Blowing out main drain running through skimmer

I know I'm getting ahead of myself here, but I like to be prepared. I did a search but I can't find anything that relates to my situation. I believe my main drain runs throught the skimmer with a valve to control how much is pulled from the skimmer and how much from the main drain. From the pool, the pipe runs underground and tees into the vacuum port with a valve, then to the pump. I assume I can hook to the skimmer port and blow out the skimmer line, close off the skimmer at the valve and blow out the vacuum line, but how do I blow out the main drain and cap it off? Since the valve (Hayward SP1082GV) is taken out of the skimmer for the winter, there's no valve to close off the main drain and hold a column of water. Should I build an assembly from PVC pipe that has a valve in it for use during the winter? There's no way I could blow air into the drain and be fast enought t oplug it before it refilled with water. Since this is my first year closing, I will be hiring the local pool store to close so I don't miss something important, BUT, they also closed last year and I don't think the lines were blown out. They are a flexible black pipe that can withstand freeze (at least that's what they say). However, I'd feel better if they are blown out and will do it myself if they don't.

20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad
    DFW, TX

Re: Blowing out main drain running through skimmer

I don't close my pool, but here is a handy Pool School article that might help. Pool School - Closing an In Ground Pool
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach