Low Pressure/bubbles in Pump Basket

Jun 2, 2015
Howell,nj
I just opened my pool and my sand filter does not seem to be working properly. The pump basket is not filling with water and after about an hour of being on, the filter is barely moving water. Once I turn on, the return jets are pumping a lot of bubbles. I am aware that this is most likely an air leak somewhere, but any other help would be greatly appreciated!!!

What kind of pool, pump, and filter is it? If inground, did you fill the pump basket with water before you turned it on? Have you tried backwashing the filter? How about recirculate to bypass the filter? The first time you start it up after being closed for the winter there will be bubbles until the filter is full unless you run it on rinse for a couple minutes to fill it up. If it still has a lot of bubbles after all of that, there's an air leak somewhere before the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is an above ground pool, heyward sand filter and pump. I thought I had filled it, I have backwashed and rinsed. I did not recirculate, should I try that? the water will flow well into the pump basket for about 20 minutes and then the only water you seeing going in is the water from the hose. also when attempting to vacuum I am only able to hold pressure for about 3-4 minutes.

An above ground pump is a flooded style pump so you don't even have to fill it. It is below the pool level, so it stays full that way. Sound like you have a leak at one of the connections. Is it flex or hard pipe PVC? Check any unions or other connections you have. You can run water over each connection to see if that improves it, then you'll know where the leak is. You can also put shaving cream on all the joints and you should see it get sucked in wherever it is leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.