Add acid after rain or wait?

Z7What

Mar 23, 2015
New Orleans Area
In discovered that aeration from rain causes my pH to rise. With the amount of rain we have been getting I find I'm added acid pretty often. Is this normal or should I just wait a few days after the rain to see if the pH settles it self down?

Wayne

I will say that I have not seen my PH go down on its own. I have to use MA. I do a test after a big rain and add MA as needed.

Of course I almost always have to drain water after such a big rain and I do wait until my water level is where I want ti before I do anything else to the water.

Kim

Hi Z7,
TA is the buffer which controls the rate of pH change. It may be that you need to lower your pH a bit.
We have been diluged with rain here in Texas as well and I myself, have not experienced any pH problems.

If you would post up some test results, we may be able to make a suggestion about it.

we just had rain all day sat and sunday, but i had the solar cover on so that prevented any aeration i guess. just for fun i collected a cup of rain water for testing and got

FC: 0
CH: 0
TA: 0
CYA: 0 (didnt really test that;) )
pH: 7.2

i knew it would have 0 FC and 0 CYA, but i didnt know what to expect from CH and TA, but they were both 0, i was surprised.

Today my FC was lower than expected. It was a 3.5-4 normally it's a solid 4-4.5. TA was a little low at a 80-90. CH is falling too at a 200. pH always seams to be high. Never really can get it at a solid 7.5 and stay there. Today it was 7.8. Its always at a 7.6-7.8.

So I added
42oz of 12oz Bleach
32oz of Baking Soda
10oz of 36% HCl
And 3oz of CYA

Didn't test CYA cause I'm out of solution but I'm thinking that since the pH was on the high end, chlorine dropping fast and TA falling that all this rain and me draining is lowering my concentration. I didn't think it rained yesterday though(worked last night)

Today it was
FC barley a 4
CC 0
TA 90
CH 200
PH 7.8ish hate that pH is up to the users discretion
CYA N/A
Temp 85
Time Tested 1315

we just had rain all day sat and sunday, but i had the solar cover on so that prevented any aeration i guess. just for fun i collected a cup of rain water for testing and got

FC: 0
CH: 0
TA: 0
CYA: 0 (didnt really test that;) )
pH: 7.2

i knew it would have 0 FC and 0 CYA, but i didnt know what to expect from CH and TA, but they were both 0, i was surprised.

Uh, your chlorine is low in your rainwater, it is going to turn green! :) I would have expected CH and TA to be 0 because it is freshly condensed water that hasn't been sitting around absorbing minerals from the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Today my FC was lower than expected. It was a 3.5-4 normally it's a solid 4-4.5. TA was a little low at a 80-90. CH is falling too at a 200. pH always seams to be high. Never really can get it at a solid 7.5 and stay there. Today it was 7.8. Its always at a 7.6-7.8.

So I added
42oz of 12oz Bleach
32oz of Baking Soda
10oz of 36% HCl
And 3oz of CYA

Didn't test CYA cause I'm out of solution but I'm thinking that since the pH was on the high end, chlorine dropping fast and TA falling that all this rain and me draining is lowering my concentration. I didn't think it rained yesterday though(worked last night)

Today it was
FC barley a 4
CC 0
TA 90
CH 200
PH 7.8ish hate that pH is up to the users discretion
CYA N/A
Temp 85
Time Tested 1315

With rising PH it is OK to let your TA gradually fall to a lower level to see if it helps to hold your PH a little steadier. Keep adding acid to lower you PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.6-7.8 and that will help lower your TA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.