Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Add acid after rain or wait?

1. Back To Top    #1

Add acid after rain or wait?

In discovered that aeration from rain causes my pH to rise. With the amount of rain we have been getting I find I'm added acid pretty often. Is this normal or should I just wait a few days after the rain to see if the pH settles it self down?

Wayne
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Add acid after rain or wait?

I will say that I have not seen my PH go down on its own. I have to use MA. I do a test after a big rain and add MA as needed.

Of course I almost always have to drain water after such a big rain and I do wait until my water level is where I want ti before I do anything else to the water.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Z7,
    TA is the buffer which controls the rate of pH change. It may be that you need to lower your pH a bit.
    We have been diluged with rain here in Texas as well and I myself, have not experienced any pH problems.

If you would post up some test results, we may be able to make a suggestion about it.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

we just had rain all day sat and sunday, but i had the solar cover on so that prevented any aeration i guess. just for fun i collected a cup of rain water for testing and got

FC: 0
    CH: 0
    TA: 0
    CYA: 0 (didnt really test that )
    pH: 7.2

i knew it would have 0 FC and 0 CYA, but i didnt know what to expect from CH and TA, but they were both 0, i was surprised.
    32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

5. Back To Top    #5

Today my FC was lower than expected. It was a 3.5-4 normally it's a solid 4-4.5. TA was a little low at a 80-90. CH is falling too at a 200. pH always seams to be high. Never really can get it at a solid 7.5 and stay there. Today it was 7.8. Its always at a 7.6-7.8.

So I added
    42oz of 12oz Bleach
    32oz of Baking Soda
    10oz of 36% HCl
    And 3oz of CYA

Didn't test CYA cause I'm out of solution but I'm thinking that since the pH was on the high end, chlorine dropping fast and TA falling that all this rain and me draining is lowering my concentration. I didn't think it rained yesterday though(worked last night)

Today it was
    FC barley a 4
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH 200
    PH 7.8ish hate that pH is up to the users discretion
    CYA N/A
    Temp 85
    Time Tested 1315
    24'X54" Round 15,000 Gallon Pool
    Pentair SD-60 Sand Filter With 1.5HP Pump & Center Floor Drain
    Lil' Shark Vacuum With Leaf Canister
    New TFPC User And Couldn't Be Happier
    Pool School + Test Kit + Pool Math = A Perfect Trouble Free Pool

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by poolnoob.ca View Post
    we just had rain all day sat and sunday, but i had the solar cover on so that prevented any aeration i guess. just for fun i collected a cup of rain water for testing and got

FC: 0
    CH: 0
    TA: 0
    CYA: 0 (didnt really test that )
    pH: 7.2

i knew it would have 0 FC and 0 CYA, but i didnt know what to expect from CH and TA, but they were both 0, i was surprised.
    Uh, your chlorine is low in your rainwater, it is going to turn green! I would have expected CH and TA to be 0 because it is freshly condensed water that hasn't been sitting around absorbing minerals from the ground.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Z7What View Post
    Today my FC was lower than expected. It was a 3.5-4 normally it's a solid 4-4.5. TA was a little low at a 80-90. CH is falling too at a 200. pH always seams to be high. Never really can get it at a solid 7.5 and stay there. Today it was 7.8. Its always at a 7.6-7.8.

So I added
    42oz of 12oz Bleach
    32oz of Baking Soda
    10oz of 36% HCl
    And 3oz of CYA

Didn't test CYA cause I'm out of solution but I'm thinking that since the pH was on the high end, chlorine dropping fast and TA falling that all this rain and me draining is lowering my concentration. I didn't think it rained yesterday though(worked last night)

Today it was
    FC barley a 4
    CC 0
    TA 90
    CH 200
    PH 7.8ish hate that pH is up to the users discretion
    CYA N/A
    Temp 85
    Time Tested 1315
    With rising PH it is OK to let your TA gradually fall to a lower level to see if it helps to hold your PH a little steadier. Keep adding acid to lower you PH to 7.2 every time it gets to 7.6-7.8 and that will help lower your TA.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach