Platform for kids??

FunFinder

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2015
Cajun country, Louisiana
8678ebb50ed50cf7b383aae47a4e3e99.jpg

Any reason I shouldn't try to use this as a platform for my little one to stand on in the pool? Thinking of putting weight in the boxes for stability and possibly covering the top with a plastic textured sheet called "poly wall" I found at HD. The shelf is rated for 200 lbs per shelf and is very sturdy. My son is tiny, but swims like a fish, so I'm not worried about him falling off. He just needs a place to have his feet touch, so he can rest and play. Do you think this will work?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would get a bathmat n put under the corners to protect the liner n go for it. Hardest part for you would be getting enough weight the weigh it down.

If it's all plastic, it should work. It also looks like as he grows you can saw the legs off.

Definitely cushion the floor. And be scrupulous about maintaining FC, because there's a lot of hiding places for algae there. If it was me, I'd make it a point to remove the thing once a week and give it a good scrubbing just for that reason.

Casey and Richard, thanks for the replies. I was worried it would leech something toxic when combined with pool water. I put one shelf in my bathtub and had no problem keeping it down, although I'm not sure if that translates to pool the same. I'll be so happy if it works. I like simple. I've seen some pretty complicated platforms built from pvc and trex like panels. Thanks for the tip on cushioning the bottom and regular cleaning. Will do! I'll let everyone know if it works.

We are actually making ours with pvc pipe and plastic we bought from grainger. I teach swim lessons so would be using it as a platform for the kids to sit.

Where did you get yours?

We are actually making ours with pvc pipe and plastic we bought from grainger. I teach swim lessons so would be using it as a platform for the kids to sit.

Where did you get yours?
It's just a utility shelving unit from HD for $50. Snaps together in 2 min. Comes with 5 shelves, so I will have two platforms. Tonight I added an umbrella holder in one corner with the extra legs- I think it will be good- I'll let you know if I ever get the pool up!

Take pics too. I have a 2 year old granddaughter and I'll probably be making her something like this soon enough.

22ee9642d92d527414751b7d08d82e35.jpg
589e92381d4e1ad587663d2bb24d93da.jpg
UPDATE! It's working great! I glued shelf liner to the bottom with some left over pvc glue to keep it from rubbing on the bottom of the pool. It turned out very sturdy. Adults sit and my kids jump off. I put half a cinder block in each box. Very easily moved for cleaning and I placed it directly in the path of the jet water flow to make sure it gets good circulation. The poly wall top is not slippery and I used zip ties to secure it on. Also, using the left over legs for an umbrella holder works great too. I'll have to get a pic of that this weekend. Thinking I might try to make my own steps now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks. As an alternative to my shelf build, if you don't mind a dark color in your pool, I think this Corfu table I just purchased should be perfect and not need any modification... Might want to check it out. Completely made of plastic and very sturdy. Snaps together and stays together. Got it on amazon for $50.
39b9c71f807d56e28247abca6e8dd264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids have been in swim lessons this off season and my wife just asked the other day if there would be some way to get a platform similar to that they use in swim lessons in our pool. I said, let me ask the question on TFP, and lo and behold, here is my answer! Thanks so much for including pictures as well!

Good to know. I actually purchased the materials (exact same, HD shelves and that big piece of polly wall!) yesterday and plan on putting it together tomorrow to have for what is probably our first 3 day stretch of sunshine and no rain of the year. My little girls are very excited.

This is just a guess for an adhesive, but what about the stuff that comes with patching kits that can be applied under water??

Fun Finder,
Did you use the feet? They only provide 4 of course so curious if you used them on one and not the other or neither?

Without the feet the legs seem to poke through the bottom so don't you have the same concern then? Or this is what you used the shelf liner to address? Did you use the shelf liner in just the four corners?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.