Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Testing water to see what the chlorine level is

1. Back To Top    #1

Testing water to see what the chlorine level is

Hi there- maybe a dumb question but what test strips do I need to see if my salt cell is generating salt according to what has been set on the control panel. I.e control panel is set to 60% and I want to see if the Chlorine level in the water is really 60%. There seems to be an abundance of test strips out there but I am not sure which is the one I need.

Thank you!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Longview, Texas

Re: Testing water to see what the chlorine level is

Hi David,
    welp, it seems you probably misunderstand how the salt cell works.
    60% means it is only producing chlorine for 60% of the time it's on (while the pump is running).

Your chlorine is still measured in ppm as usual. (we here at TFP dont trust test strips though, as they are notoriously inaccurate).

FC should be kept at recommended levels as per the FC/CYA chart.
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

To set up the SWG to meet the recommended levels, is a bit of trial and error process and testing the water daily over possibly a couple of weeks or so.
    You can turn down the % on teh SWG and increase the pump run time
    Or you can turn up the % and lower the pump run time
    either way will still produce x amount of chlorine which meets the recommended level.

so you just have to play around with it to get it just right.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge. Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Pooler, GA

Yes, the SWG is converting salt to chlorine. Salt test strips are used to make sure you have added the appropriate amount of salt to your pool so the SWG can operate correctly.
    6425g Intex Ultraframe 18'x48" AG
    Stock 1500gph cartridge filter / Intex SWG CG-28669 with E.C.O.
    Install date: 5/26/2015
    Helpful Links

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide
    Sierra Vista, Az

If you want to test you salt level I highly recommend the Taylor salt test kit linked in my signature.
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5
    NW Ohio

Sounds like you also need to get your hands on a Taylor k-2006 if you haven't already. That is the kit you need to properly test your Free Chlorine to make sure you have your SWG % dialed in properly.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter.
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits