Oh where oh where did my CYA go?

graler

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 17, 2014
Cedar Park, TX
I actually know the answer to the question. We have had a little bit of rain in Texas and that led to lots of pumping water off. The pool looks great. I was noticing that my chlorine consumption was a bit higher than usual. I ran a CYA test today after I saw a 4 ppm loss. My CYA was down around 20 - might have been a little lower I ran out of tube. The dot was pretty much gone. Because I am traveling at the end of the week I decided to use liquid stabilizer to jump it up right quick. Seems like most folks have trouble with too much and mine just got up and went. The pool store guys tried to set me up with all kinds of stuff when I went in to buy the stabilizer. They actually had a heavy rain pack all ready for folks to pick up. I got out of there as fast as I could.

I have a similar problem. I brought mine down slowly from 100+ last year(with 3 partial drains) to about 45 this spring. After all the rain and overflow, it's down to 25. I'm also going away shortly, so using some pucks during the vacation should bring it back up. If I would have known, I could have saved a lot of precious water.

woodyp said:
If you're like most folks....................it went down stream lately!
That's what happened to mine. Lost around 10-15 ppm CYA this month. Added some back yesterday. Amazingly, I was able to keep up the FC throughout "rainmageddon". It rained 24 out of 31 days in May and most of those rains were downpours. Didn't have to worry about much FC being lost to sunlight, that's for sure.

Yep. I have never had a pool and I was in the process of getting the thing under control by slamming when all the rain started falling in central TX. I had measured my cya to be 90 (I guess from years if pucks from the previous owners) but I was reluctant to drain given our water situation. After the Memorial Day weekend downpours I thought I probably should check again and it was below 20 ... Ups. I guess I have been slamming at way too high levels for a little while. I hope I haven't damaged anything ... But I also got a sock in the skimmer now :)

I just set up my first pool thus year, and buy my chemicals from Walmart. I'm afraid to go into a pool store. I don't want somebody trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I don't need. If you know the basic stuff you need just go with that and don't let ppl sell you a bunch of junk.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.