Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Oh where oh where did my CYA go?

1. Back To Top    #1

Oh where oh where did my CYA go?

I actually know the answer to the question. We have had a little bit of rain in Texas and that led to lots of pumping water off. The pool looks great. I was noticing that my chlorine consumption was a bit higher than usual. I ran a CYA test today after I saw a 4 ppm loss. My CYA was down around 20 - might have been a little lower I ran out of tube. The dot was pretty much gone. Because I am traveling at the end of the week I decided to use liquid stabilizer to jump it up right quick. Seems like most folks have trouble with too much and mine just got up and went. The pool store guys tried to set me up with all kinds of stuff when I went in to buy the stabilizer. They actually had a heavy rain pack all ready for folks to pick up. I got out of there as fast as I could.
    12600 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Hayward Powerflo 1.5 hp Single Speed pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Oh where oh where did my CYA go?

If you're like most folks....................it went down stream lately!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's hilarious. It is a great feeling to walk into, and quickly out of, those pool stores. Oh, and my CYA also dropped like crazy the past few weeks. I have a sock handing near my skimmer right now.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Did the heavy rain pack include algaecide??
    That is hilarious.

30x20 vinyl IG, Hayward SD60 with Pentair Dynamo 340219 2HP pump, Compupool CPSC24 SWG, Hayward H200FDN heater. APC automatic pool cover.
    Central Illinois

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a similar problem. I brought mine down slowly from 100+ last year(with 3 partial drains) to about 45 this spring. After all the rain and overflow, it's down to 25. I'm also going away shortly, so using some pucks during the vacation should bring it back up. If I would have known, I could have saved a lot of precious water.
    12,350 gallon IG plaster pool
    Hayward cartridge Swimclear 4025 filter
    Hayward Super II 2.5 Hp pump

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp
    If you're like most folks....................it went down stream lately!
    That's what happened to mine. Lost around 10-15 ppm CYA this month. Added some back yesterday. Amazingly, I was able to keep up the FC throughout "rainmageddon". It rained 24 out of 31 days in May and most of those rains were downpours. Didn't have to worry about much FC being lost to sunlight, that's for sure.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by graler View Post
    .... They actually had a heavy rain pack all ready for folks to pick up.....
    Pool store owner
    dollarsigns.jpg
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep. I have never had a pool and I was in the process of getting the thing under control by slamming when all the rain started falling in central TX. I had measured my cya to be 90 (I guess from years if pucks from the previous owners) but I was reluctant to drain given our water situation. After the Memorial Day weekend downpours I thought I probably should check again and it was below 20 ... Ups. I guess I have been slamming at way too high levels for a little while. I hope I haven't damaged anything ... But I also got a sock in the skimmer now
    IG plaster pools built in 1985 (?): 16k(?) gallons lap pool (62'x8') connected by a spillover to 17k(?) gallons squarish pool (22.5'x18'). DE filters Pentair NS-48(x2), polaris 280 (non-functioning). Inline chlorinator [removed!] -> Circupool Si60 SWCG [Newly self installed March 2016!]. Recently acquired dolphin nautilus+ [Summer 2015]. Still figuring out what else I have and how things work.

9. Back To Top    #9

I just set up my first pool thus year, and buy my chemicals from Walmart. I'm afraid to go into a pool store. I don't want somebody trying to sell me a bunch of stuff I don't need. If you know the basic stuff you need just go with that and don't let ppl sell you a bunch of junk.
    vinyl soft sided pool
    intex 1500 gph sand filter and intex swg at 1500 gph.