Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Overflow?

1. Back To Top    #1

Overflow?

This maybe a stupid question for someone who has had a pool for 10 years but what do most people do when it rains so much your inground pool overflows? I drain water to waste but do some pools have a passive way of doing that?

Like some kind of overflow drain that does it automatically?
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Overflow?

Some pools are plumbed with an overflow pipe above the waterline. When the water gets to high it flows into the overflow pipe and is directed away from the pool. I don't know if that is something you could retro fit.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup. Exactly.
    Exactly like Zea says. Its a pipe in the side of the pool that drains water out of it to ...wherever.
    Some have valves on them, some don't.
    Some are connected to sewer, others out to maybe the edge of the yard or in the pasture if you live in the country.
    Its one of those optional things that any decent PB should either offer as an option or even include it as a basic item for any pool.

Quote Originally Posted by ethany View Post

Like some kind of overflow drain that does it automatically?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool has a one inch pvc overflow pipe that connects to the top of the skimmer. Whenever the water gets high enough, it just drains. The 1 inch pvc line runs under my pool deck and into the woods behind our house.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I just backwash the heck out of my filter.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

6. Back To Top    #6

you know I wonder now. The basket in the skimmer is at an angle so there is a 1/4" gap there. I thought it was them just screw up setting the connection between the pool n basket. I put some epoxy to fill the gap. Could that be the overflow or just a F- up on their part.
    20,000 gallon viking fiberglass pool w/aqua comfort heat pump, pentair whisperflo pump 1.5hp autopilot dig-220 swg w/RC42 cell (42,000), pg2000 fiber optic lights
    hayward sand filter(medium is echoglass)
    Blue diamond robot cleaner