About a month ago, I went to my local pool store to get my water tested and to get some chemicals in order to slam my pool, which at the time was green and full of algae. At that time, my pH was over 8.6 and there was 0 copper or iron metal in my water. I left with powder shock and "lo n slo" pH reducer, according to their suggestions.
Due to my schedule, I had to wait until this past weekend to start shocking my pool. It's now blue and looking a lot better, which I was very happy about. Brought some water back into the pool store, and they said my pH was very low ( < 6.6) and there is now metal in my water (copper: 2.1, iron: 0.1), which may suggest is from a damaged heater? And I'm looking at about $200 of more chemicals to clean the metals, and potentially a couple thousand dollars if the heater's broken.
I'm wondering why the pH is so low, if it originally was very high and the intention was to just balance it. Was it my fault that I waited a couple weeks after the initial water test before using the chemicals I bought? Also, do you think these metals appeared from this weekend since I've shocked and lowered the pH the pool? They've recommended the following products: Pool Magnet Plus, Spark Up, and Kleen It. What are your guys thoughts and do you guys have any recommendations on how to clean out the metal? Thanks for the help!
Update: I've looked online and it says copper can come from ground water or algaecide, which makes sense because my water was below the skimmer level so I also filled it last week with my hose and also added some algaecide a couple days ago. Hoping that heater damage isn't the cause of the metal?