So I just ordered my TF-100 kit. I used the strips and noticed the pH was pretty high so I added the two cups or so of muriatic acid that the pool calculator site said to add. However. even holding it at arm's length, I got a whiff of it and it is not something I want to work with often. I don't think I damaged my lungs but I don't want to chance it.
I've also got some pH Down (sodium bisulfate) and I keep reading it's not good for plaster or for salt cells. Does anyone have any hard data on this? Would I have to replace the salt cell every five years if I use sodium bisulfate? It would be worth it to me to never deal with this muriatic acid again. I'm way too much of a klutz and I'm sure I'm gonna end up doing something wrong with it. How quickly is the damage to salt cells and plaster? Any definitive data on that?