Latest bout with algae - SLAMMING!

I'm wondering if I had a fluke result with CC when I tested at 8:30 this morning... As I added more chlorine and re-tested around 9:30am, CC was back to around .2ppm again. Anxious to see the results when I get back home from work.

I hear that... We've actually had an uncharacteristically worm and dry april/may. I don't remember weather like that since the 90's. This is actually our first major rain storm and cold spell of the spring. I keep thinking, some lucky people who were building pools this spring around here, probably got some really good progress done. When we were building back 3 years ago, it rained just about non-stop through april/may, couldn't get any work done... most frustrating two months of my life! lol.

Can I ask what test kit you are using to get results so precise? I use the TF-100 kit and the increments are all in 0.5ppm ?

Thanks!
Paul.
The Taylor based kits (K-2006 & TF-100) will give accuracy to .2 if you use a 25 ml sample. The more common 10 ml sample gives the .5 accuracy. Most folks use 10 mL sample for 0.5 ppm accuracy. It will save reagents and is close enough for us.

Looks like I'm at the end of tunnel folks! Measured at 6:30pm and FC was holding steady at 27.5ppm (loss off .5). CC is again at pretty much zero. So I think I can call this SLAM session a success!!! Big thanks to all who have helped in this and the other thread!
All in all, took just about 15 gallons of chlorine to complete. 10 gallons of 12.5% and nearly 5 more gallons of 8.3%.
One biggest take away is, don't ever think just because you have a beautiful, sparkling clean water, doesn't mean you don't have a big problem brewing. This was my first battle with algae in 3 years of owning this pool and lessons were certainly learned, one thing for certain, if not for this forum, I'd probably would still be beating my ahead against the wall, thinking I have a broken SWG, not producing any chlorine...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tested again this morning just to be sure and still looks good. FC=27ppm, CC=.2ppm.

One question folks, what FC level should I wait for it to drop to, so I can run the rest of the tests and not get skewed results?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ah ok. I thought the TA was as well. My TA was at ~120 before I started with the SLAM and I need to get it down to 80-ish level because SWG. So I can then get cracking on this today since now I don't have to wait to test it. Thanks!

Tim, are you certain that TA testing is not effected by high chlorine count? My FC is still at 26.5ppm an I just tried to test TA and the test isn't behaving the way it should, instead of turning red from green, it turns blue and then yellow. My first thought was my re-agents went bad, but I have spares so I tested with them and got the same result. So my next thought is high chlorine is messing with the dye. Is that right?

It may be affecting it with the high FC. I would not test for anything except FC, CC and CYA if you added any stablizer to bring it up at all until you are done SLAMming and below 10 FC. But don't test CYA for one week after add.

yep. just did a quick search and that's it. looks like high chlorine count is screwing up the dyes in the re-agent, though the test is still valid on when its turning blue to yellow.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.