Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can someone recommend an air compressor?

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Can someone recommend an air compressor?

At present, I have the following:

1) House returns (4 of them) for a total run of about 65 feet
    2) Yard returns (4 of them) for a total run of about 70 feet
    3) Main drains (2 of them) on a single run for a length of about 50 feet
    4) House skimmer for a total run of about 55 feet
    5) Yard skimmer for a total run of about 65 feet

The plumbing is all 2 inches. I have a Hayward 2 HP super pump and a 350 lb. sand filter.

My wet vacuum does not have extensions and may not be powerful enough. The large air compressor I have may be too powerful, and I do not want to run the risk of damaging any equipment. I have read that 7-10 psi is sufficient to close out the lines with air.

Considering the pool companies charge around $260 to close the pool, I would like to attempt closing the pool myself. Air compressors direct could not even help me in choosing the right compressor.

Can someone please send me any information on what they purchased or are using, etc., and where I can purchase the air compressor. I am assuming that I can use a fitting directly at the pump.

I know that I can close the Multi-Port and blow out the main drains and skimmers first and then work on the returns. Also if someone could advise me on where I can purchase the round plugs for the pump housing that would be great.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can someone recommend an air compressor?

Shop vacuum is all I've ever used to blow out my returns or vacuum out my skimmer. You'll need to add a tee into the return and a valve to isolate the filter outlet.
    Buy a shop vac with a discharge outlet, you hook the hose to the outlet and to your tee and let it blow while installing threaded plugs. When done a bit of propylene glycol(not automotive) and you're done
    30k in ground vinyl lined pool surrounded by decking in the woods.
    Hayward sand filter circa mid 80's
    If there is a way to do things less expensively and yield a superior product I am all ears

3. Back To Top    #3

I know absolutely nothing about the suitability of using an air compressor to clear out the lines. However if you go that route, don't buy another compressor, just get a regulator on your big compressor and set the desired pressure. If it were me, I'd do whatever most people do which sounds like using a shop vac.

4. Back To Top    #4

There are two things when selecting a blower or compressor. Volume of air and discharge pressure. Most compressors are high pressure but low volume. The blowers/shop vacs move a higher volume of air at a lower pressure. I believe you want a large volume of air to blow out the lines. Since 1 psi is equal to 2.31 ft of water, a discharge pressure of ~10 psi should be plenty.

30,000 gal inground (20 ft. x 40 ft. w/ deep end), vinyl liner, Pentair Clear & Clear 420 cartridge filter, single speed 1.5 HP Pentair Whisperflow pump, heat pump, SunTouch controller

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Rolair AER6 AER 1.5-HP 6-Gallon Oiless Pancake Air Compressor

Porter Cable C2002 6-Gallon Pancake Air Compressor

Will any of these 2 compressors do the job? Please advise. I will be helping friends close their pools and need something that is portable. The other compressor is just to big to carry.
    14,700 gallons IG Pool Vinyl Liner - Octal Circulation System
    Hayward Pro-Series 350 LB. Sand Filter Model # S270T - 2" Plumping
    Hayward CL2002 Chlorinator - Hayward Super Pump 2 HP Model # k48m2n111
    Hayward AQR9 SWG 25K Salt Cell & TF-100 Test Kit + Speed Stir
    Gulfstream HE125RA - 117K BTU Heat Pump - Date of Build is 11-2013

6. Back To Top    #6

I got one of these blowers that the pros use and it works great. Another good one is this. For me, they were equal and it came down to price.
    Free-form concrete walls with vinyl liner, 18,000 gallon capacity, Jandy 1.5HP e-Pump, Jandy DEV48 DE filter (using cellulose media), Jandy AE2500 heat pump, Jandy Aqualink Power Center with 14-blade cell kit and Jandy PDA-P8 wireless control system.

7. Back To Top    #7

A shop vac or electric leaf blower is going to move a lot more air for the money than a compressor.

8. Back To Top    #8

Get a good shop vac or blower... Neither of those air compressors will be able to push enough volume to blow the lines out...