Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool mom need help

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool mom need help

I recently purchased a baby pool for my daughter it's 900 gallons filled with well water and my current scales are
    FC: 0
    PH: BARELY 6.4
    TA: 40
    where do I go from here this is our second time filling the pool I filled it first time and took a sample to our local pool place and they told me what to do but I ended up with pee yellow water that I couldnt get rid of so drained and am now trying again

Any help is so appreciated
    Thank you! !

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool mom need help

Hi, welcome to TFP! Since you are filling from a well you probably have iron in your water. Is the pool white on the inside? Do you have a pump and filter connected to your pool?
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome!

I'd guess there's a lot of Iron in the local water there in Rustburg.

As soon as the pH goes from acidic to neutral or basic, the Iron's going to start precipitating out. Adding chlorine also tends to bring the Iron visible.

Can you tell us more about the size of this pool, and does it have some kind of filter system? If not, check out this thread. He made an Iron filter with a pond pump and some empty jugs and pillow stuffing. Check out the pictures in posts 8 & 9.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

Hey guys yes I have a pump and the pool is white on the inside. It's a pop up type that you inflate the top ring and pool pops up as you fill it. I know we need some chemicals soon/now to avoid having to refill again just unsure what to use I have all the basic chemicals on hand just don't know where to start

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Annettetweedy View Post
    Hey guys yes I have a pump and the pool is white on the inside. It's a pop up type that you inflate the top ring and pool pops up as you fill it. I know we need some chemicals soon/now to avoid having to refill again just unsure what to use I have all the basic chemicals on hand just don't know where to start
    Zero CYA means the target FC level is going to be 3 FC.

A 900 gallon pool will take cup of plain 8.25% clorox to get there. You probably have that by the washing machine, so go add it now. It will all disappear in a few hours unless you get some stabilizer in there. For a pool that small, it hardly seems worthwhile to buy a four lb canister of cyanuric acid granules. That would be a ten year supply! One 8 oz trichlor puck will raise your CYA level to 37. So that's the route I'd suggest. Any friends or neighbors around who chlorinate with pucks? Ask for one. Do you ever see pool service trucks in the neighborhood? Ask the guy to sell you one or two. Some pool stores have them for sale individually wrapped, so the last resort is to buy one. A floating dispenser is about ten or fifteen bucks. Still less than the stabilizer granules.

Ordinarily, we discourage pucks, but your pool is so small, it's the cheapest, most convenient way to do it. Once the puck is dissolved, switch back to bleach. Half a cup a day or less is pretty easy to handle!

Now.. about pH and TA. They both need to come up because the trichlor puck will make things even worse. What are these basic chemicals you have on hand? Soda Ash/Washing Soda/pH up would be my first choice for your situation. But if you have baking soda and borax on hand already, you can use those instead. Let us know and we can help you calculate the dosages.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok I have alkalinity plus
    Ph minus
    Shock n swim
    Stabilizer and conditioner
    Chlorination granules
    Swamp treat algicide,
    and a bag of turbo shock
    I also have claro and borax on hand too
    Levels today are
    FC 1/2
    Ph 6.8
    TA somewhere between 0-40
    What and how much do I need to add??

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok I have alkalinity plus
    Ph minus
    Shock n swim
    Stabilizer and conditioner
    Chlorination granules
    Swamp treat algicide,
    and a bag of turbo shock
    I also have claro and borax on hand too
    Levels today are
    FC 1/2
    Ph 6.8
    TA somewhere between 0-40
    What and how much do I need to add??
    Alrighty then.

3/4 measuring cup of stabilizer tied up in a sock and hung over the edge of the pool so the return stream hits it.
    1/3 cup bleach. You need to read the ingredients on the shock n swim and the turbo shock and the chlorine granules before we can tell you to use them.

Let the bleach mix 30 minutes. The stabilizer will take a few days.

Then add 1/2 cup borax predissolved in water. I hear hot water helps.

Half an hour later a heaping half cup of alkalinity plus, which is nothing but baking soda.

9. Back To Top    #9

My levels today after it has rained for 3 days straight are
    Total hardness 400
    FC 0
    PH 6.4-6.8
    TA 80
    CYA 30-50
    I added abput a cup and a half of bleach abput 15 minutes ls ago what else do I need to add? I also picked some PH plus when I got some new test strips today from pool place.

10. Back To Top    #10

Get that PH into the 7.4 range.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

11. Back To Top    #11

How much ph plus do I need to add?

12. Back To Top    #12

How much ph plus do I need to add?
    Assuming that the pH Plus is Sodium Carbonate, add 1/2 cup. 4 ounces by volume. Predissolve it in a bucket of water and pour that in the pool. Don't just dump the powder in. You're off the scale, so your pH may be lower than that, but start with 1/2 cup today and recheck pH tomorrow and see where you are. Remember to let the pool run after you've added it so it mixes well. And don;t forget your pool needs bleach every day. Space the two half an hour apart.

13. Back To Top    #13

Are all other levels ok?

14. Back To Top    #14

Are all other levels ok?
    Well, since you added bleach after those readings, yes. Just fix pH.