New to TFP and need advice

Blue73

Jun 1, 2015
Auburn, AL
Hi, I am new to the TFP method. My TFT100 test kit arrived today. My results are as follows:
FC 11.5
CC 0.5
TC 12
pH 7.5
Calcium 300ppm
TA 190
CYA 50
water temp is 82

I had previously used test strips and relied on the SWG to keep chlorine within normal range. I've always had clear water, but had 6 inches of rain overnight and the next afternoon I had cloudy water. I recognize my CYA is low at 50, but I really don't want to correct anything until I get some advice on what to do first. My free chlorine levels are on the way down as I have turned my SWG output down.
Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
I've not used borates, but I am interested in using them once I get the pool sparkly clear again if anyone has any words of wisdom on borates.

You got the test kit......step one...check. Congrats.

Technically speaking the PH test can be inaccurate at chlorine levels above 10. If you've had a sparkly pool until the rain and don't feel like you are fighting algae, I'd start tonight be doing an overnight free chlorine lost test (OCLT).

If that is less than 1ppm then I'd just continue to let FC drop to where you want it to be by turning down the SWG and keep filtering. You can also add DE to your filter (instructions in pool school) to help with filtering the small stuff faster.

Thanks AZgirl.

Blue, instructions for OCLT are here. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You'll want to make sure you turn off your SWG. With cloudy water I'd keep my pump running though. You got your test kit so this will be an easy test to see if you have organics in the water making it cloudy or if it was just the heavy rain. Hopefully you wouldn't need to SLAM therefore saving your reagents.

If you do find a loss of chlorine overnight, post back here with any questions about the SLAM Process.

Welcome! :wave:

Cloudy water and no telling what got washed into the pool means SLAM. I sure hope nobody just spread granular fertilizer on the lawn recently because that stuff is like the ultimate algae food.

50 CYA is fine for the SLAM. Target 20 FC and leave the filter run overnight. Check again in the morning and either pat yourself on the back that it's done so soon or raise it back up to 20 using bleach. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but you probably have other things to do besides tend the pool all day, so leave the SWG on at your normal setting. At the end of the day, you'll probably have a crystal clear pool and high FC. Don't sweat the high FC, as soon as it drops below shock level it's safe to swim in. Don't forget to make sure you pass all three tests before you stop the SLAM.

We were typing at the same time Blue. Yes. You seem to understand it. By doing so after sunset and before sunrise you are eliminating the sun as burning off chlorine. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight in the dark then there is something organic consuming your chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you Richard. I know you have do helped me a lot in the past and you may likely be correct that SLAM is in order. My train of thought was on doing the OCLT since OP probably isn't prepared with chlorine on hand but just got the test kit.

My mind works that way also because I live 20 miles from the nearest place to buy bleach too. So that's what I'd do first but that is also based on personal circumstance. :)

Blue, Richard will steer you well on getting crystal clear water.

Thank you Richard. I know you have do helped me a lot in the past and you may likely be correct that SLAM is in order. My train of thought was on doing the OCLT since OP probably isn't prepared with chlorine on hand but just got the test kit.

My mind works that way also because I live 20 miles from the nearest place to buy bleach too. So that's what I'd do first but that is also based on personal circumstance. :)

Blue, Richard will steer you well on getting crystal clear water.
Aw, shucks.

If Blue is a long way from a store, she's got her own chlorine factory. Leave the pump and the SWG on all night and deal with a proper SLAM tomorrow.

Ok guys, today is SLAM day. Using the pool math calculator I come up with around 600 ounces of 10% bleach for my vinyl pool with a current FC of 9.5. My CYA is 60. This seems like a lot of bleach to me, does this amount sound about right? I don't want to bleach my liner out......

Ok, I'll double check everything. I built this pool about a year ago and this will be my first time adding chlorine outside of my SWG, just wanted to make sure I do everything right and 5 gallons of bleach seems like a lot.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.