Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to TFP and need advice

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP and need advice

Hi, I am new to the TFP method. My TFT100 test kit arrived today. My results are as follows:
    FC 11.5
    CC 0.5
    TC 12
    pH 7.5
    Calcium 300ppm
    TA 190
    CYA 50
    water temp is 82

I had previously used test strips and relied on the SWG to keep chlorine within normal range. I've always had clear water, but had 6 inches of rain overnight and the next afternoon I had cloudy water. I recognize my CYA is low at 50, but I really don't want to correct anything until I get some advice on what to do first. My free chlorine levels are on the way down as I have turned my SWG output down.
    Any and all advice welcome. Thanks in advance.
    I've not used borates, but I am interested in using them once I get the pool sparkly clear again if anyone has any words of wisdom on borates.
    Auburn, AL
    30,000 gallon inground pool with vinyl liner
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: New to TFP and need advice

Congrats on your TF 100 and welcome to TFP!

You say the pool is cloudy.

See the post from Aimee below.

Chlorine CYA Chart

SLAMing Your Pool

PoolMath

Recommended Levels
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Point of argument, With FC of 11.5 and CC of 0.5 is a SLAM required? I would think a few days of filtering should clear it up just fine. Just mu humble opinion. And I'm really new so I could be all wet!!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

With SLAMming he can get the pool cleared faster. It would not take long for the SLAM since there is really nothing there but cloudy water.

The other option would be to add DE to the filter

Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

You got the test kit......step one...check. Congrats.

Technically speaking the PH test can be inaccurate at chlorine levels above 10. If you've had a sparkly pool until the rain and don't feel like you are fighting algae, I'd start tonight be doing an overnight free chlorine lost test (OCLT).

If that is less than 1ppm then I'd just continue to let FC drop to where you want it to be by turning down the SWG and keep filtering. You can also add DE to your filter (instructions in pool school) to help with filtering the small stuff faster.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Aimee that is a good post! I was doing something with my daughter when I was replying and was not thinking clear I guess...lol.
    Lisa

7. Back To Top    #7

Am I correct in assuming that the OCLT is basically comparing free chlorine over a span of time without the addition of chlorine? I guess there is no need for looking at total chlorine over this same time period?
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

Thanks AZgirl.

Blue, instructions for OCLT are here. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

You'll want to make sure you turn off your SWG. With cloudy water I'd keep my pump running though. You got your test kit so this will be an easy test to see if you have organics in the water making it cloudy or if it was just the heavy rain. Hopefully you wouldn't need to SLAM therefore saving your reagents.

If you do find a loss of chlorine overnight, post back here with any questions about the SLAM Process.

9. Back To Top    #9

Welcome!

Cloudy water and no telling what got washed into the pool means SLAM. I sure hope nobody just spread granular fertilizer on the lawn recently because that stuff is like the ultimate algae food.

50 CYA is fine for the SLAM. Target 20 FC and leave the filter run overnight. Check again in the morning and either pat yourself on the back that it's done so soon or raise it back up to 20 using bleach. I know it goes against conventional wisdom, but you probably have other things to do besides tend the pool all day, so leave the SWG on at your normal setting. At the end of the day, you'll probably have a crystal clear pool and high FC. Don't sweat the high FC, as soon as it drops below shock level it's safe to swim in. Don't forget to make sure you pass all three tests before you stop the SLAM.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

We were typing at the same time Blue. Yes. You seem to understand it. By doing so after sunset and before sunrise you are eliminating the sun as burning off chlorine. If you lose more than 1ppm overnight in the dark then there is something organic consuming your chlorine.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Thank you Richard. I know you have do helped me a lot in the past and you may likely be correct that SLAM is in order. My train of thought was on doing the OCLT since OP probably isn't prepared with chlorine on hand but just got the test kit.

My mind works that way also because I live 20 miles from the nearest place to buy bleach too. So that's what I'd do first but that is also based on personal circumstance.

Blue, Richard will steer you well on getting crystal clear water.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by AimeeH View Post
    Thank you Richard. I know you have do helped me a lot in the past and you may likely be correct that SLAM is in order. My train of thought was on doing the OCLT since OP probably isn't prepared with chlorine on hand but just got the test kit.

My mind works that way also because I live 20 miles from the nearest place to buy bleach too. So that's what I'd do first but that is also based on personal circumstance.

Blue, Richard will steer you well on getting crystal clear water.
    Aw, shucks.

If Blue is a long way from a store, she's got her own chlorine factory. Leave the pump and the SWG on all night and deal with a proper SLAM tomorrow.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

13. Back To Top    #13

Ok, I will get some numbers tonight and in the morning. Will keep you all posted. Thanks for your help.
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

14. Back To Top    #14

Here are the results of my OCLT, both taken with pump off for several hours and without sunshine.

9:00 pm
    FC 11.5

5:30 am
    FC 9.5
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Richard is/was correct. You should proceed to SLAM (shock level and maintain). The overnight loss is indicative of organics in the pool.....likely the start of algea bloom.

16. Back To Top    #16

Ok, I will plan on starting SLAM after work today. Thanks!
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

You also have to leave your filter pump on 24/7 for the SLAM.
    Lisa

18. Back To Top    #18

Ok guys, today is SLAM day. Using the pool math calculator I come up with around 600 ounces of 10% bleach for my vinyl pool with a current FC of 9.5. My CYA is 60. This seems like a lot of bleach to me, does this amount sound about right? I don't want to bleach my liner out......
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

For a pool your size it is probably right. There are 128ozs in a gallon. Just confirm you have the gallons correct on the pool math calculator and your targeting the level for your CYA
    Lisa

20. Back To Top    #20

Ok, I'll double check everything. I built this pool about a year ago and this will be my first time adding chlorine outside of my SWG, just wanted to make sure I do everything right and 5 gallons of bleach seems like a lot.
    Auburn, AL
    sand filter
    intellichlor SWG
    TF100 test kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast