Taylor OTO chlorine testing

Azmp1

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 20, 2012
Maryland
Hey folks,
So since I now switched to DPD-FOS testing, I have a good amount of OTO re-agents still left. So, im sure this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it by searching, so I will ask again.

I know the OTO testing considered obsolete, but is it still considered accurate enough to use on the daily basis, when pool has no issues and you're just maintaining your chlorine at the under 5ppm level? I'd rather save my FOS-DPD re-agents for when I really need to use them and still use the OTO testing for quick daily checks.

What say you?

I use the OTO more than the FAS-DPD. It so happens that I don't like to let my FC dip below 5. I know what the usual appetite of my pool is, so if the color is darker than the highest color, I just dump the usual in and forget about it. Once a week or so I do the FAS-DPD test just to ensure things haven't gone sideways.

I'll add one more answer. The OTO test is best used for the PRESENCE of chlorine. With time, like Richard320, the shading becomes apparent but it takes a while. Meanwhile it is VERY dependable and can assure you that chlorine is in your pool.

Use the FAS/DPD test for precision. You can't do a SLAM without it. You cannot do an OCLT without it. Anytime you need to read High FC levels or precise FC levels, use the FAS/DPD

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.