Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Taylor OTO chlorine testing

1. Back To Top    #1

Taylor OTO chlorine testing

Hey folks,
    So since I now switched to DPD-FOS testing, I have a good amount of OTO re-agents still left. So, im sure this has already been discussed, but I couldn't find it by searching, so I will ask again.

I know the OTO testing considered obsolete, but is it still considered accurate enough to use on the daily basis, when pool has no issues and you're just maintaining your chlorine at the under 5ppm level? I'd rather save my FOS-DPD re-agents for when I really need to use them and still use the OTO testing for quick daily checks.

What say you?
    19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Taylor OTO chlorine testing

Yes, you can use the OTO for daily testing if you have FC goal of 5. Run the other test maybe once a week or if your FCappears to be higher than 5 on the color.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

3. Back To Top    #3

I use the OTO more than the FAS-DPD. It so happens that I don't like to let my FC dip below 5. I know what the usual appetite of my pool is, so if the color is darker than the highest color, I just dump the usual in and forget about it. Once a week or so I do the FAS-DPD test just to ensure things haven't gone sideways.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Terrific! Exactly the answers I was hoping for. Thank you!

19200gl rectangular gunite/diamondbrite perl pool || Coverpools auto cover || Jandy variable speed 2hp e-pump & Polaris PB4-60 booster pump || Polaris 3900 sport cleaner || Jandy CV filter || Jandy AqualinkRS8 w/Aqualink touch || Jandy iAqualink2.0 || Jandy Watercolors LED || Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWCG || Hayward auto chlorinator (backup) || Raypak 117k BTU heat pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'll add one more answer. The OTO test is best used for the PRESENCE of chlorine. With time, like Richard320, the shading becomes apparent but it takes a while. Meanwhile it is VERY dependable and can assure you that chlorine is in your pool.

Use the FAS/DPD test for precision. You can't do a SLAM without it. You cannot do an OCLT without it. Anytime you need to read High FC levels or precise FC levels, use the FAS/DPD
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Perfect!