Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: algae on the pool floor.

1. Back To Top    #1

algae on the pool floor.

Chlorine and ph level ok but I have to vacuum algae out every single day! It's driving me insane! how can I get rid of this problem?
    hi, my name is Sherry, My pool is 17,000 thousand gallon in ground sports pool with vinyl liner and sand filter.
    Sharon Colbert

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: algae on the pool floor.

Welcome to TFP!

There is a solution to this problem, but first...

Chlorine and ph level ok
    Stating that chlorine and pH are "OK" is not enough to go on. Practicing the TFP method begins with quantifiable numbers from test results. What are you using to test with and can you post any numbers?
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Welcome to TFP!
    Can you post a full set of numbers?
    What test are you using?
    What does your water look like?
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

4. Back To Top    #4

just the test kit I got with the pool.
    hi, my name is Sherry, My pool is 17,000 thousand gallon in ground sports pool with vinyl liner and sand filter.
    Sharon Colbert

5. Back To Top    #5

the water is a little cloudy.
    Sharon Colbert

6. Back To Top    #6

Welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by slc2015 View Post
    Chlorine and ph level ok but I have to vacuum algae out every single day! It's driving me insane! how can I get rid of this problem?
    Kill it.

What the pool store or the bottle of test strips says is "Okay" for Chlorine might not be. In fact, if you have algae, it's not. There is no absolutely right chlorine level. It's the ratio of chlorine to stabilizer. Shorthand here is FC/CYA ratio. If you've been chlorinating with pucks or powders, it's probably that your stabilizer level is too high, which keeps the chlorine from killing the algae before it can reproduce.

Just accept that you'll have to invest in a proper test kit. It's a onetime expense, plus annual refills which are cheaper. Then accept that the pool store doesn't make money giving you good advice, they make their money selling you chemicals. Then immerse yourself in pool school until you feel like this :dizzy:

ABCs, Recommended Chemicals, Defeating Algae are all good places to start.

When it seems to overwhelming, go look at some interesting pictures. You'll find some in Inspirational Threads. Start at the last page and work backwards if you want to see more recent ones. While your pool isn't a swamp yet, it will be soon if you don;t take control.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

You will need to order a test kit then. The TF100 ships from NC so you should get it quick.
    Lisa
    Intex AG vinyl 15' x 48" 4,300 gallons due to skimmer install, Krystal Clear SF pump combo 2800 GPH, Krystal Clear SWG, Pool Blaster Max vacuum, Hayward thru the wall skimmer, TF 100 test kit with speed stir, K 1766 Taylor salt test, My SLAM Process

8. Back To Top    #8

Hayward vari-flo filter with superflo performance pump with auto chlorinator. Hayward thru the wall skimmer. aqua chem test kit.
    Sharon Colbert

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    There is no absolutely right chlorine level. It's the ratio of chlorine to stabilizer. Shorthand here is FC/CYA ratio.
    Repeating for emphasis. This is the first concept I would focus on learning. Understanding it will prevent your pool from getting algae or other forms of organic contamination. See FC/CYA Chart

Also recommend getting one of the Recommended Test Kits. I use the TF-100 because it's the best value and they have a freshness guarantee. You can order it here: TFTestkits.net. The kit ships from NC and they ship fast. Being in AL, you should have it in your hands in 1-2 days with normal shipping. It contains all the testing materials that you will need to test for, including the all-important FAS-DPD chlorine test which is the ticket to entry for practicing our methods and ridding your pool of algae.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT

10. Back To Top    #10

I just purchased my test kit TF-100. Until then vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Thanks for your help. Is their any thing else to do until I get my test kit?
    Sharon Colbert

11. Back To Top    #11

I just purchased my test kit TF-100. Until then vacuum, vacuum, vacuum. Thanks for your help. Is their any thing else to do until I get my test kit?

Learn all you can! It is a lot but once you get it down you will never look back! These folks are amazing and they make it so easy and you will love your pool.
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

12. Back To Top    #12

If you have leaves or bigger chunks then use a leaf rake to scoop it out.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by slc2015
    I just purchased my test kit TF-100.
    This will all make sense before you know it.

14. Back To Top    #14

I got my test kit today now trying how to use it. What is the best stabilizer to use?
    Sharon Colbert

15. Back To Top    #15

I got my test kit today now trying how to use it. What is the best stabilizer to use?
    Anything that is 99% cyanuric acid or better. The stuff Walmart sells is pretty highly regarded. So is the stuff at Lowes.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

16. Back To Top    #16

Lowes recently switched to Clorox brand CYA/stabilizer.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

17. Back To Top    #17

your stabilizer is most likely too high...run a full set of tests with your kit and post them all here for input on next steps. do not add anything right now with the exception of chlorine
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;