Help! Broken Intex SWG. Imagine that!

dph42

Jun 1, 2015
Killen, Texas
Hello All!
I am a newby to the forum and wish I had found you 5 years ago! I have a LOVE/HATE relationship with our pool. My wife loves it and I hate it! Not really but don't tell her. Long sad story short
I am about to order a new SWG as we have had another one die. The dreaded red service light on one unit, then the 91 code(Salt level is fine) on another I cobbled together using a brand
new head unit they sent me when I couldn't get their Chinese rep to understand I needed the cell, and the cell they ended up sending me finally. All out of warranty now.
I have a couple of questions I hope y'all can help me with. What is the most cost effective way to chlorinate my pool while I am waiting to get my new system. I assume bleach but how much for my pool, about (7000 Gallons)? Before we started having all the storms (I live in Central Texas) and both my pump and SWG died one after the other, all my numbers were in line but as of this morning I have zero Chlorine, and water is starting to look a lil funky.
I will probably buy another Intex unit even though I hate to give them any more money, just because we can't afford a high dollar unit. They now have different ones to choose from and I was hoping to get some input on the different units if anyone here has had any experience with them. I am sure the answers I seek are in here somewhere, and will continue to look as time allows.
It is pretty sad, I have dealt with Intex since 2010 and they used to have great customer service here in the states, and for a while I could even trick them into transferring me to the stateside folks, but no luck this time around.So far today even their website has been a pain and really has no information on the units.
Anyway, any help from you kind folks would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
David

Welcome to TFP!

Do you own a reliable test kit such as the TF100 linked in my signature or a Taylor K 2006? TF 100 is more bang for your buck in the long run.

You will need a full set of numbers from a reliable test kit. Pool store and test strips do not cut it.

Once you have numbers you would look at the chlorine cya chart. You find your CYA level and then see the minimum /target/ SLAM levels.

You will enter your test results with a goal to determine how much bleach to add.

Lisa,
Thank you for your prompt reply and help!
Is the test kit you mentioned really that much better? I have always used the HTH strips and always had a nice clean pool,other than equipment problems at times, and for what it is worth their customer service is always awesome.

Hi dph42, and welcome to TFPC. As a former strip tester along with a cheap test kit, the answer is a resounding YES. Strips are very unreliable even between two different strips. I have found, thanks to these nice folks the only way to really test your pool water is with a good test kit. I have the TF100 and it allows you to get very accurate results. Those results along with the pool math calculator and the wealth of help you will get here makes it so easy to keep your pool sparkling. If you can get a good test kit and post your numbers here, then your well on your way.

P.S.- I also have the speedstir, I love to watch the water swirl around the test tube :)

Lisa,
Thank you for your prompt reply and help!
Is the test kit you mentioned really that much better? I have always used the HTH strips and always had a nice clean pool,other than equipment problems at times, and for what it is worth their customer service is always awesome.

Yes. The test kit is 110% better than strips.worth every penny!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.