Yet another Baquacil Conversion

An hour in, and my chlorine numbers are:

FC - 1.5
CC: 10.5

Gonna boost the FC back up to 15.

Incidentally, I'm have a hard time posting pix. Can someone give me the step to using PhotoBucket?

I just used dropbox and then shared out the link. Pour the bleach to it. My pool responded with good readings after 2 hours. 1 hour was too soon for me. Here is my pool size 18x36 - 23,500 gallons, waterco s600 sand filter, 1 HP pump.

I have not been testing CC after that first reading. My understanding is that there is no reason to at this point in the process.

I started around 10:30 this morning.

My FC readings were 1.5, 4, and 3.5 at 11:30, 12:30, and 1:30, respectively, and have gone through almost 9 gallons of 12.5% shock from Ocean State Job Lot. I have 3 more gallons of that left and 12 gallons of 8.25% bleach from Stop & Shop and Walmart. I thought that'd be enough to get me through the weekend, but maybe I'll need a booster run for more shock.

Some goo formed and I fished some out. Other than that, a little pile got caught by the skimmer, and now nothing is on the surface of the water. Right after my shock addition, I brushed the side walls. After my 2:30 boost, I'm going to brush the diagonals in the deep end.

I haven't backwashed at all, but the pool has been on recirculate since I started. I wonder if I switch to filter if more goo will form. Thoughts?

Pic was taken at 2:00.

2:30 FC - 5 ppm. Pool looks like lemonade.

Wife came home and said, "That looks awful. Is it what you expected?"

Backed by the knowledge I've gained while waiting for my test kit, I calmly answered with one word. "Yes."

Keep adding it will get better. Like I said the first night I put 10 gallons in before my FC ever registered. My pool is looking great it is the clearest it has been in 3 years. My kids even commented on how good it was looking.

3:30 test was FC = 7ppm
4:30 test was 10 ppm

I've gone through all my 12.5 jugs (12) and will probably pick up two cases tomorrow. Until then I have 12 8.25% jugs. Water looks about the same as 2:00 photo. I'm going to switch my pump to filter and see what we see.

Keep on keeping on! You'll be glad you stuck with it. I've *never* read of anyone regretting converting from Baqua Goo to chlorine.

Good luck, and if you start getting freaky colors going on in the water- take pics!! We loveeeeeee us some pics :)

Keep on keeping on! You'll be glad you stuck with it. I've *never* read of anyone regretting converting from Baqua Goo to chlorine.

Good luck, and if you start getting freaky colors going on in the water- take pics!! We loveeeeeee us some pics :)

Thanks. 13.5 gallons in, I don't have any intention of turning back. Water looks pretty much as it did at 2:00, but not losing as much FC. I just took a pic and will upload a little later. Belmont Stakes is about to go off. Triple Crown threat and I'm not there and didn't bet. My luck? American Pharoah will probably win, but I'll be relaxing around a nice clear pool in a week or two.:cool:

As of 6:40 this evening. I added another gallon of 8.25% and calling it a night. That's 14.5 gallons total on day 1.

Went for a ride with my son and got 2 more cases of liquid shock from OSJL.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC reading at 8:00 was 4 so topped it off with over 2.5 jugs of 8.25%. I spoke too soon on the goo. It's very difficult to get with the leaf skimmer, I got the first of it with a bucket, then I brought out my shovel. I figure I'll back wash a few times today (even if the pressure says I don't need to) and close my main drain so it goes out the back.

Here are my steps this morning. You can make out the bottom.

Here's the pool as a whole.

Very well could have turned the corner, color-wise. I have 1/2 gallon of the original 24 jugs (12 -8.25%/121 oz. jug; 12-12.5%/128 oz. jug) so next time I add will be from brand new stock I picked up last night. I went through 24 jugs in about 28 hours. I wish I had the test kit in time to do this last week. It rained off and on all day last Sunday. I would have been perfect. Such is life, I suppose.

Pool math told me to add 2.8 8.25% jugs at 1:30. I didn't want to waste any product when I vacuumed so I did that first (to waste) while adding tap water and added 3 gallons afterward. This photo is after I vacuumed to waste. I can make out the vacuum head in the shallow end and I vacuumed up a bunch of brown gunk. I can't even imagine what is on the deep end floor. I will brush next time I add Chlorine.

For your viewing pleasure:

Just vacuumed for the second time today and picked up more brown gunk to waste. I'm very happy with the progress. Too bad I can't take the day off tomorrow. I know a Baq conversion is not as bad as some of the pools on this site, but even my wife is impressed.

Is that a pattern on the liner (Picture doesn't do it justice.)? Why yes. Yes it is.

Thanks, Jeff. You too.

Unfortunately, real life gets in the way tomorrow. I just topped of and I will do the same tomorrow morning, but then it's about 10 hours before tests. I'm truly bummed about tomorrow. I can see further down than at any point in about two years!! This site rocks.

I woke up this morning to a pleasant surprise. I could see the liner pattern on the shallow end from my upstairs bathroom window, which is three stories above the pool. I walked down to get testing water and saw the liner pattern in the shallow end was almost completely clear and I could see 3/4 the way down in the deep end. This is the first time That's happened since the liner had been replaced two seasons ago. The last foot and a half or so is still cloudy and there is a dark green tinge in the deep end, but I could see the brown gunk on the pool floor as well as my old friend...the main drain cap...

FC reading was 8, so I backwashed (even though pressure told me it didn't need it), and topped off the liquid chlorine to 15 ppm. I'm going to brush and vacuum after work. I feel like I'm still a few days away from changing my sand, but depending on what the water looks like tonight, I'll do a full panel of tests. I know I'm not there yet and I've spend some money on this process, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it's good money. Unlike making Namco and Blue Shield richer for no results, causing me to spend even more. This is the clearest my water has been in 2 seasons and it's still not totally clear.

Two questions:
1) Do I add CYA now or wait until after I change out my sand?
2) Do I need to have CYA in the pool for the overnight chlorine loss test?

Here are this mornings' pictures:

The outline of the main drain is just to left of the tree shadow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.