100% short cycle vs 50% long cycle

Jul 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi all,

I am new to SWG. I will install a timer just for the SWG. Just wonder if I should run the SWG at 100% in a short cycle or at 50% in a long cycle. These are my considerations:

1. pool chlorine fluctuation. short cycle = higher fluctuation. Is it harder too keep the pool clean?
2. Cell life longevity
3. energy efficiency. The control box runs pretty hot. I don't know if running at 50% or lower may be energy efficiency like a VS pump.

Scott

1. Should not matter much ... could run in 2 short periods spread over the day.
2. Does not matter at all ... life should be related to the generation time which is the same either way.
3. It is either on or off ... uses the same amount of power when generating.

The pump is the energy hog. Find out how little you can run it and then figure out how long the SWG needs to run to maintain FC with that many hours of flow. You might be surprised at how little you actually have to run the pump to keep the water mixed and the surface skimmed. It could well end up that you need to run the SWG 80 or 90% to match the pump flow.

Ditto. I'm running my pump 6 hrs a day and varying my swg output depending on conditions outside; temperature, cloudiness, pool use. I'm running the swg 80-85% currently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run my pump at 1450 RPM from 6:30 AM to mid-night. To complete one full turnover at the RPM, it takes 24 hours. With SWG matched to the current pump schedule, 55% is still too strong.
:shock:

I feel extravagant when I ruin my pump more than 4 hours in a day!

Forget turnovers and go by appearance. Check the link I posted in my last reply.

Before I got my new swg installed I was only running my pump about 2 hours a day just to save money. Pool still looked beautiful. Like Richard said, don't worry about turnover. Go by appearance. If I had/when I eventually get a 2 speed pump, I would run it more just because I like the way it looks when the pump is running.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.