Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Drainage

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Drainage

Since I'm new at this pool ownership thing, I have a pretty simple question. I looked up how to drain my pool water, should the need arise, but it seems I do not have a setup for draining. Correct me if I'm wrong? Am I correct to assume the only way for me to drain would be a sump pump?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12k in ground, 14x28 sports pool, concrete/plaster/diamond brite, uncovered
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool Drainage

That is correct.

You could add a 3-way valve after the filter (since there is no room before it) to use to switch to a "waste" option. Of course you would want to remove the cartridge anytime you were going to do it.

EDIT: Or replumb between the pump and filter and either use a 3-way instead of the 90 fitting or use a Tee fitting with a shut-off valve on the right that you could open. The 3-way would allow you to drain more quickly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Jason. I'm worried about changing any of the plumbing, since the pool was just built, I've only had it open since April, and I don't want to void all/any warranties I have.
    Waterway 1.5hp pump, waterway 150sqft cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, on city water, Zodiac MX8

4. Back To Top    #4

Then ask them to add a waste option ... there is no way adding a valve should void anything.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh they'll add one. But it's not free lol. Actually, on the back of my filter there is a drain cap and I can hook up a garden hose to that. Slower drain, but better than nothing, should the need arise. I'm still waiting for delivery of my TF-100 kit so I can start doing my own testing

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah you can use the filter drain, just will be slower.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

I can't believe, for the cost of installing a pool, they didn't give me a better drainage option. But then again, until a week ago, I wasn't smart enough to do my own research on maintaining my own pool. Thanks for the help!

8. Back To Top    #8

At least they plumbed the floor drains and skimmers separately so you even have the option of draining below the skimmer
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Just take the lid off that puck feeder with the pump on. That'll empty things.

You could even keep it fairly clean. Measure the circumference of that thing. If it's less than 22". you could buy this and clamp or duct tape it around the body and unroll it out like a backwash hose.

Myself? I'd just saw through that short pipe between the pump and the filter, and recreate it with a T instead of a 90 and install a valve or garden hose faucet there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

If I weren't afraid of voiding warranties, I'd certainly be doing as you suggest Richard. Thanks for the insight, both of you