Mustard algae?

goosta

Feb 27, 2012
Austin, TX
Hi everyone! Newbie here... Been dealing with algae problems and I'm hoping I can get things under control. The pool came with the house, which we bought a few years ago. First couple of seasons went great - no water problems. Last year, the pool started getting algae but I would shock a pack of granules from the pool store and it would fix it for a while. Long story short, my son was born and I've been slacking on pool care.

I've been doing lots of reading on the TFP forums and I'm determined to get the pool under control and keep it that way. I ordered a K-2006 test kit which will be here Wednesday. Previously I was using test strips, then I bought a test kit at the pool store last year, but it doesn't let me test CYA. Once I get the new kit, I am going to attempt to SLAM the pool.

I'm trying to figure out if I have mustard algae so I know what level to shock at. Any thoughts based on these pictures?

The light spot on the step is where I scrubbed it with a scrub brush.

Some of the mess is from a huge tree that I despise which is dropping tons of pollen in the pool.

If anyone has thoughts on this, I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Thanks so much for the response!

I didn't know about the TF-100 kit until after I ordered the K-2006 kit. Guess I know for the future now. :)

I got the kit yesterday and the FC test came out at 2.8. CYA tested at 80. pH was at 7.6. So I added in enough liquid chlorine to raise the FC to shock level of 31 (according to the Chlorine / CYA Chart). Brushed the pool well. It's looking quite a bit better today. This morning I checked FC and it came in at 18. So I added more chlorine based on what the calculator told me to raise it to 31.

I know the CYA is high, but am I following the correct procedure to kill all the algae?

Here are a couple pictures:

In the second pic - is that black algae? And if so, do I need to do something special to get rid of that? I know the plaster isn't in the best shape.

Thank you!

Well, it might be. SLAM your pool when your test kit gets in and then tackle those spots. You may find that a normal SLAM will clear it all up.

That pool has been too low in chlorine for a long period. After the SLAM, You must increase your chlorine levels if you intend to keep it algae free

Sounds like you are following the process. Use 10ml water sample for the FAS-DPD so each drop is 0.5ppm ... Save your reagent and precise enough.

You order refills yet?

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I ordered a refill kit that has a 10 gram container of R-0870 and 2oz bottle of R-0871.

The two main issues that brought me here - not really understanding what I was doing (even though I thought I was) and the pool being neglected since my son was born. Still not sure on the first issue, but working on it... :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.