Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking for a low cost gas heater for a 5,000 gallon pool

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Looking for a low cost gas heater for a 5,000 gallon pool

I tried to enable the heater a few days ago. BIG mistake!! Now I know where my metal came from. Could actually hear it rushing trough the piping towards the returns. Before I could get the valves rotated back, there were clouds of metal flakes spewing from the returns. Took me hours to vacuum it all up. Good thing I had placed a sock on the skimmer basket. Caught almost a pound of stuff.

So now I want to find a low cost replacement. At least that's what I figure I'm going to have to do.

Any thoughts.

I know, I know. Need pics!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking for a low cost gas heater for a 5,000 gallon pool

It might be possible to replace just the heat exchanger if that is of interest. Sometimes it is worth it if the rest of the heater is in good condition.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Exchanger costs more than brand new heater.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Forget the heat exchanger replacement. Not worth is because unless the unit is 4 years or younger, most likely the inside is in just as bad shape.

Look at the Raypak's. A good unit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,