Baquacil to Chlorine Conversion - Questions

Jeff,

How often have you backwashed and how much "goo" did you have? I haven't backwashed once yet. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

P.S. I don't mean to hijack your thread so P.M. if you want...OTOH, it could help other converters.

Chris....

I did not have much "goo" at all. I thought I was doing something wrong as well. FC Levels have been great. I have done a great deal of brushing the walls down but never really had any "goo" on top of my water. I may have backwashed 1 or 2 times a day....my pressure stayed pretty steady the whole time. The first two days maybe 3 or 4 times but that is it.

Jeff

I just finished my Baquacil conversion last week, and I had absolutely NO goo during the entire process - none! I also thought I was doing something wrong, but the conversion is completely done, water is gorgeous, and I'm enjoying swimming in a beautiful pool. I guess some pools just don't generate any goo at all. Just keep up with the bleach!

Thanks so much for everyone's help. The conversion is moving along perfectly. I am changing the sand in the sand filter tomorrow. The pool looks amazing. I don't think I have ever seen it looks this crystal clear. My wife and kids were amazed. This site is amazing.

Thanks so much for everyone's help. The conversion is moving along perfectly. I am changing the sand in the sand filter tomorrow. The pool looks amazing. I don't think I have ever seen it looks this crystal clear. My wife and kids were amazed. This site is amazing.

^^^^^^^ X 1000

I cant believe what I'm seeing either. Do you have a picture?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Quick question......I left this morning and FC was exactly 15 tested about 830pm and FC=1........disclaimer full sun all day and we got over an inch of rain this evening. I used pool cal and I am getting back to FC 15.

Thanks,
Jeff

Don't forget to post some pictures of the near-finished product. Very glad it was a pretty smooth transition, probably seems like we were too alarmist making you do it so soon but you have had one of the more uneventful conversions.

Make sure you share any comments made to you about the water quality during your party. It gives us warm fuzzies to hear the positive comments!

Sweet!!!

Hey Jeff, quick question on your sand replacement. Did you remove the tank from the plumbing or leave it attached?

When I last replaced my sand, it was at the end of the season, so we removed the tank and undid the 27 screws joining the top of the "egg" to the bottom and scooped out the sand with a shovel. By the time we got to the laterals, we could just dump the last of the sand out. I just want to know if removing the tank is necessary because then I have to get a helper. It's either that or a hernia and that's no fun.

I will tell you how I got mine out. My filter does not open in the middle. I have to take the top off. I was able to stick a shop vac down into it and suck the sand up. I kept the shop vac in my wheelbarrow so when it got full I was able to just dump it out into the the wheelbarrow. It worked great.

No hernias allowed! OUCH!

Kim

Chris....I did the same as Kim. I took the top off the sand filter and used a shop vac to suck out the sand. I had a friend help. I am sure it could have been done with one person but it was nice having another hand. My friend said it was the clearest home pool he had seen.

Pictures are coming sorry for the delay they are on my phone and I have been slow about posting them to Box. Promise they will get there.

Jeff

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.