First year opening Intex AG pool after winter; algae? Please advise my next steps...

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
First year of pool use last year. I thought I prepared it well for winter, however, when we removed the cover, our pool was not clean. I have included pictures. It wasn't totally green. Since my pool is small, I thought I could empty it, brush it with bleach, then refill it. Wrong, I didn't realize it will not empty completely and I have nothing to pump that little bit of water out. Whatever gunk is in the water has settled on the bottom plus a few leaves. I removed the cover Sunday, May 24th, so 1 week and 1 day ago.

My friend, a former pool owner, said I can use some warm water and bleach and brush down the sides of the pool, add the rest of the gallon of bleach I am using to clean the sides, then fill the pool, run the pump and continue to clean the pump regularly. He thought I would need to add an algaecide to kill the algae, and test the water to get the chlorine levels up to shock value.

Intex pool, 18 X 4 feet, 7200 gallons of water when filled, type A cartridge filters. I do have a pool vac that works well, but has to be submersed to work. Once the pool is full enough I can use it, but may not be able to get the middle until I can get in the water. Cold in Northern Illinois yet, 65 degrees today, but warming up. I use a salt water system, rather than chlorine.

I have read the articles about algae but felt best to check here before I proceed. My plan now is to do what my friend suggests minus adding the algaecide and hook up my salt water chlorine system and run at shock values, cleaning the filter every few hours. What do you think? How can I be sure that algae is killed?

Attachments

• DSC01929.jpg
    DSC01929.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC01930.jpg
    DSC01930.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
can you rent a sump pump and pump out the rest of the water?? you got it so low you might as well finish it. the last remaining stuff you can get with the shop vac. only concern with fully removing water is the liner shifting and/or getting folds.

from my experience growing up...we had an above ground pool and let it go green everything winter. we actually would throw brim and goldfish in there and fish, haha. those were good times. we would always drain the entire pool and then my dad would get in there with a brush and muriatic acid and wash the entire liner. then refill and we were good to go.

going forward I wouldn't say to refill, but since you did most of it I would finish it off. its not that much that a SLAM wont fix it either. I would clean the sides as best you can and then refill and SLAM it. it will be pretty diluted and wont be an issue.

We did have a small sump pump we used to get it this far, but can not pump any further, probably 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water in there. I calculated how many gallon if 1 1/2 inches deep and probably over 230 gallon. We may try the shop vac, we have a 10 gallon, but hose on shop vac will not allow full vacuuming of the bottom of the pool with vac outside it.

I am new at using muriatic acid and from all the warnings on the label, I am very cautious using it, not excited to use it for this. Would full strength bleach work just as well? I may have no choice but to fill the pool with some of this gunk in there. I will try to use my net to scoop up the biggest.

Question, is it best to avoid disturbing the stuff on the bottom, that way it will be easier to vacuum out? Or am I thinking wrong here?

We did have a small sump pump we used to get it this far, but can not pump any further, probably 1 to 1 1/2 inches of water in there. I calculated how many gallon if 1 1/2 inches deep and probably over 230 gallon. We may try the shop vac, we have a 10 gallon, but hose on shop vac will not allow full vacuuming of the bottom of the pool with vac outside it.

I am new at using muriatic acid and from all the warnings on the label, I am very cautious using it, not excited to use it for this. Would full strength bleach work just as well? I may have no choice but to fill the pool with some of this gunk in there. I will try to use my net to scoop up the biggest.

Question, is it best to avoid disturbing the stuff on the bottom, that way it will be easier to vacuum out? Or am I thinking wrong here?

sure, use bleach if you are more comfortable with that. you want to scrub and agitate the algae on the bottom and clean the sides. add the bleach and wait a few hours while brushing the walls and bottom and then refill your pool. once its full, take full set of readings and post for input. you will definitely want to get CYA in there and can add that during your refill. use pool math to get your CYA up to 30 for starters. can adjust later to get more if needed.

Thank you so much for the help. After reading more yesterday, we decided to do just what you recommended. Glad our minds are on track with you. Thanks again, if problems getting water where it should be after using pool math, I will repost.

I have used a shop vac to get the last little bit. It sucks the algae and leaves out, too. Downside, it you really only can fill it half full, because you have to lift it over the side to dump it. Ours was a medium to large sized one. We just emptied ours two weeks ago for an upgrade in size. Hubby brought a gas powered pump home, then I did the last bit with the shop vac.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.