Ammonia is whipping me....

Dang, I thought I was holding FC. This morning at 6:45am, FC was still 18, 8:30am FC 18, 10:30am, FC dropped to 2.5, CC 0. I added another 3.5 gal of 8.25% to bring it back up to shock level. Are the organics stronger during the daytime? We have complete shade on the pool until noon. I promise my CYA is 40 as well :).

Same drop happened to me a few days ago as well when I went home at lunch to find FC 0, after a full night of 17.

I'll test again when I'm home at noon, 1.5 hrs after adding the 3.5 gal.

Sorry, I still question the CYA. No reason for the FC to mostly hold overnight and drop quickly in the day besides due to the sun.

I agree with your assessment. I would say the same thing if I were diagnosing. However, I know what zero CYA looks like in the tester. I had that when I opened and after 3 tube socks for a week, I got it up to 40 and it's held there for 1.5 weeks now. Also, its complete shade until noon. I appreciate everyone's feedback and willingness to stick with me. Pool still looks great. Recycling truck doesn't come around near enough for all these empty bleach bottles I keep accumulating.

Going home to test again...

Maybe get it back to shock level and see if it can hold overnight, again. In the morning, if it is still holding, close the automatic cover before the pool is in full sun. You can test your water out of a skimmer or your filter air bleed, and see how long it holds.

My last 24 hours:

Yesterday, 3:30pm
FC 14.5
Cover remained closed

5:45pm
FC 14.5
Cover remained closed

7:30pm
FC 14.5
Opened cover

9:40pm
FC 13
added 1 gal

Today, 6:45am
FC 17.5
CC 0

9:45am
FC 6
Added 3 gal, closed cover

Noon
FC 20.5
CC 0
Opened cover

1:05pm
FC 5
CC 0

CYA continues to register 40. Yes, I'm doing the test correctly, same as previous couple years. I even started using my new bottle of R-0013 for CYA...same results as old bottle.

Do I need to raise CYA? I've read and read and read and can't find another scenario where CYA was in range and FC dropped so drastically versus at night or when covered, it seems to hold. Been slamming for over 48 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is it always full sun when you open the cover and lose the FC? The test results do not make sense to me.

Full sun is from noon to 6pm right now. As you can see above, from 6:45am to 9:45am, I lost 11.5 FC. There was daylight, but the sun was behind trees and didn't rise above until noon. I added 3 gal of 8.25%, closed the cover and it held thru noon. During the noon hour, I opened the cover and tested again before returning to work and had lost 15.5 FC.

I agree the test results do not make sense. I'm a detailed person and have executed them identically ea time. I believe in the test results.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you running the pump 24/7?

Yes, I've been running the pump 24/7 for 3 weeks.

What does the water look like?
You have no CC and appear to be holding FC overnight ... although do not see a OCLT result exactly.

You may be done with the SLAM.
And with a CYA of 40ppm ... it is completely reasonable to lose over 50% of the FC to the sun during the day.

Water is gorgeous.

OCLT holds FC.

What baffles me is several scenarios like today when FC went from 20.5 at noon, I opened the cover and in 1 hour, I had FC of 5. Just tested again at 3:30 and have FC of 0. With CYA of 40, I shouldn't be going from FC of 20.5 to 0 in 3.5 hrs.

Based on yesterday's results, if I would have left the cover closed this afternoon, I'd likely still have FC of 20.5.

Again, I appreciate everyone's input and sticking with me. I know all the users of this board thrive on solving problems and I wish I'd delivered you a successful ending by now (for both our sakes!)

When was the last time you physically added CYA? Do you remember how much you added and what it was before that (grasping at straws here)

I had zero CYA to start the season. I added 2 jugs of Aqua Chem stabilizer (I believe it comes in 3 lbs jugs) over a period of 10 days and stopped about 2 weeks ago when I got to 40.

My tests were completely clear all the way to the top of the tube when I started....now I stop seeing the dot when the solution and water mixture gets to the 40 line.

Here is the problem you are facing. What is happening in your pool is pretty much not possible.

There is no secret ingredient or magic trick to solve this problem based on what we all know.

FC is consumed by two things only.......sunlight and organics in your pool......there is nothing else that consumes chlorine in a pool.

So, by performing the OCLT, sunlight is eliminated but you still pass the test confirming there are no appreciable organics in your pool.

Sunlight can be the only culprit. However, even with NO CYA whatsoever you would not consume 20 ppm in a morning....perhaps 10-15.

Couple that with your confirmed reading (and dosing) of 40 ppm CYA, that means your AM loss might be 5 ppm, if that.

It's a scenario where there is no answer.

What type of algaecides have you added in the past? Basically list anything you have added to the pool in the past, other than chlorine or basic pH adjustment chemicals. This could maybe provide some clue to the mystery.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

What type of algaecides have you added in the past? Basically list anything you have added to the pool in the past, other than chlorine or basic pH adjustment chemicals. This could maybe provide some clue to the mystery.

From my HTC One via Tapatalk

In the past 18 months, I've only added bleach, stabilizer, muriatic acid (31.45%). And a couple pucks here and there when I traveled.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.