Thread: Ammonia is whipping me....

1. Back To Top    #1

Ammonia is whipping me....

FC....20
    CYA....40
    PH...7.2
    TA....300
    CH....400

I feel like I'm pouring bleach down the drain. Pool is crystal clear and has been for a month. CYA was 0 at opening, it's been at 40 for a week. I've been battling ammonia (I think) the entire month of May. I thought once I got my CYA level at 40, I would be able to beat the ammonia. I've been slamming for a week. My overnight loss is very little. For instance, went to bed at 10pm with FC 18, tested at 6:30am, FC 17. Tested at 7:30am, FC 17. Went to work, tested at lunch 1pm and had FC of 0. Added 4 more jugs of 8.25%. Will test again shortly. My question, does ammonia eat more chlorine in the day time? Any other suggestions for me? I've read the past discussions on the topic, so I think continuing Slam levels will get me thru this, but I'm about to buy my town out of bleach!

Thanks in advance!
    16 x 32 - 20,000 Gal - Rectangle Gunite / Sand Filter / TF-100 Test Kit / Oklahoma

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ammonia is whipping me....

wow, TA of 300??
    10,500 gal IG, Topaz Pebble, auto-level
    Hayward DE filter, 2HP Ecostar VSP, ProLogic PS-4, GVA actuators
    Cal Pools Wave Force Plus (wall return jets plus 2 floor pop-ups), Venturi Skimmer
    Water sheer, 2 wok pots, bubbler stem on the baja step
    ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED lamp. Taylor 2006+speed stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Jason, how long have you had your filter system? Reason I ask is because I saw a thread just like this last night/this morning, and after exhausting the SLAM method, there was a theory about the sand filter effecting the absorption of chlorine. If I can find that post form the past 24 hours I'll paste you the link. Of course if your pool is not that old, then I guess it wouldn't matter. Just a thought.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and of your test results above ... what was your CC?
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Jason, how long have you had your filter system? - - - Updated - - -

Oh, and of your test results above ... what was your CC?
    Sand filter. I haven't changed the sand since I've owned the home (5 years).

CC...0.
    16 x 32 - 20,000 Gal - Rectangle Gunite / Sand Filter / TF-100 Test Kit / Oklahoma

5. Back To Top    #5

This is not likely ammonia if you are able to maintain FC levels ... What are the CC levels? you did not report any.

If you are seeing more losses during the day than at night, then much of the loss must be to the sun.

When did you last verify the CYA level?

If you suspected ammonia, it would have been better to deal with it prior to adding more CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Is there any way you can get an ammonia test kit from a pet store? It might be worth it just to see.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I spent 2 weeks slamming prior to adding the stabilizer. I thought the sun was my culprit, so I increased my CYA from 0 to 40 in a week and it's been steady at 40 for the last week. Verified again this morning. We had cloudy, rainy weather for much of May. We've been dry for about 5-6 days now.

8. Back To Top    #8

Jason, below is the thread from earlier I was speaking about. Not sure if ti will be ideal to your situation, but you can compare notes ....

Water still cloudy after 13 days at SLAM levels, with 24 hours of filtering throughou
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Is there any way you can get an ammonia test kit from a pet store? It might be worth it just to see.

Kim
    Yes, I work next door to a pet store. I thought about testing, but I keep reading that the battle is still the same, so I haven't. At this point, I guess I should test ammonia.

10. Back To Top    #10

Ammonia test showed only 0.25. I don't think that's enough to be the problem. I have an automatic cover, should I slam tomorrow with my cover closed.

11. Back To Top    #11

Well that certainly could be part of the problem and you need to SLAM the pool, better uncovered.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

12. Back To Top    #12

While it isn't rare, Ammonia laden pools are not terribly common either. The FC consumption will be very extreme to start, shortly after accompanied by extremely high CC.

Plus one on Blizzle's statement about slamming with the cover off. You need to get rid of CC, so some sunlight exposure is very important.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Whether or not you test for ammonia, the answer is always the same......more chlorine. There simply is NO alternative.
    My overnight loss is very little. For instance, went to bed at 10pm with FC 18, tested at 6:30am, FC 17. Tested at 7:30am, FC 17. Went to work, tested at lunch 1pm and had FC of 0.
    It just doesn't work like that. There is a huge testing error there or something has gone amiss but your FC will not take a nose dive like that after a 1 ppm loss overnight.

It seems you are doing the right thing but your testing is not giving results that are feasible.

Please post current test results and don't add anything until we see them. Give us a current snapshot of EXACTLY what is in your pool and we can go from there. No need for pH, CH, TA or CYA.....they won't change. But we do need FC and CC
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

14. Back To Top    #14

Here are my results from 5 min ago. I haven't added bleach since losing it all yesterday morning. Pool is still crystal clear.

Ph 7.8
    Fc 0
    Cc 0
    Ch 400
    Ta 350
    Cya 40

15. Back To Top    #15

It won't be clear for long with no chlorine in it.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

16. Back To Top    #16

You should be raising the FC back to shock level every time you test and it is too low. That is the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.

Raise the FC to shock level and then test the FC and CC in 30 minutes.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

What happened to your stats in your signature? If your pool is still 20,000 gallons, you need to bring your FC up to 16 ppm with 3.77 gallons of 8.25% bleach. If your FC turn to zero in the next few hours you need to do the same thing again. If your FC drops to 10 ppm, you need to add 6 ppm to bring it back to 16 ppm.

I suspect you are pinching down the amount of chlorine to add and not testing and adding long enough. That won't help. The only thing that will make this all work is adequate chlorine.
    Dave S.

18. Back To Top    #18

Thanks for the replies.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    What happened to your stats in your signature?
    When I post from my phone, my sig doesn't show.

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I suspect you are pinching down the amount of chlorine to add and not testing and adding long enough. That won't help. The only thing that will make this all work is adequate chlorine.
    I'm adding 4 jugs of 121 oz 8.25% to raise FC to 16. It's dropping faster than I can keep up with it in the morning and running home from work at lunch. I'll get enough bleach to get me thru the night and stick with it as soon as I get home this evening.

Thanks again for the help.

19. Back To Top    #19

In the Industry

You're welcome. That chlorine consumption will suddenly start to slow down once it has cleared the organics. I know it seems never-ending right now but stick with it......there will be a sudden light at the end of the tunnel.
    Dave S.

20. Back To Top    #20

Below are my test results from this evening. Trying to decide if I can go to bed or not.

10:15pm
    Fc 20

9:30pm
    Fc 20

8:45pm
    Fc 18

8:15pm
    Fc 12
    Added 1 gal

7:30pm
    Fc 16

7:00pm