Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I get the leaves out of the bottom?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I get the leaves out of the bottom?

New guy here! Just put the pool up last summer, then it went into storage. When I took the cover off this spring it was all full of leaves, what is the easiest way to get them all out? I added water so it is full. I have no idea how many gallons my pool is, but it is 15' x 24'. I also need to get the other chems in order, will need to add salt, etc. But first, need all the leaves out.

Thanks for the help, new here and did a search but couldn't find much - might just be me too!!! Thanks for your help!!

Not a good pict of the dirty water, but gives you an idea on the pool.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    15' x 24' x 52" Above Ground Pool
    Sand Filter thingy
    Saltwater System
    1 wife, 5 kids, $0 money.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I get the leaves out of the bottom?

Welcome to TFP!!!

Sounds like you need a leaf rake that mounts on a pole.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hello Catterman. Just a suggestion ... while you're tackling the leaves, and because you mentioned testing the chemicals ... do you have one of TFP's recommended test kits? One example (TF-100) is linked below in my signature. It's a MUST before you consider adding any chemicals. Please do NOT go to the pool store for testing. You simply won't get a straight answer there and only spend money on useless products. Ideally, order a good TFP-recommended test kit now so it's here in time for you to start "SLAMming" the pool as noted on the TFP home page. Also, take a moment to look at the links in my signature as they have really good info for new members. TFP also has a pool calculator to help you pinpoint your pool capacity. Let us know if you have nay questions. Lots of experts here to help.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow, thanks for all the info, my head is going to explode! Will get the test kit. For a good leaf rake, any suggestions? Do the ones with the garden hose hookup work well? THanks again
    Sand Filter thingy
    Saltwater System

5. Back To Top    #5

A pool leaf rake is like a flattened butterfly net
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

6. Back To Top    #6

What do you guys think of this?
    http://www.saveonpoolsupplies.com/sh...&keyword=A1988

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT View Post
    A pool leaf rake is like a flattened butterfly net
    That is something I need too... Thanks!
    Sand Filter thingy
    Saltwater System

7. Back To Top    #7

Just try the standard leaf rake first. If you want to vacuum the bottom, get a vacuum head that attaches to your telescoping pole and use a vacuum hose/skimmer plate with the pump running.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Catterman View Post
    Ouch. Pricey!

The manual leaf rake is a whole lot cheaper.

There's another leaf grabber that's also cheaper and apparently works well. Check this thread. Still only about twenty five bucks on eBay and Amazon.

The difference in price would almost pay for a TF100 test kit. If you buy one, spring for the XL option now. Free shipping that way and you'll need the extra reagents when clearing the green out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Catterman View Post
    I have no idea how many gallons my pool is, but it is 15' x 24'. .
    didn't see this answered, but assuming the pool has 46" of water in it (6" from the top), you would have 9,000 gallons
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;