Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help with Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Help with Cleaner

Hi Everyone,

When we bought our house, it came with a pool cleaner that looks like a jeep and has an attached bag that captures the dirt, leaves, etc. I believe it is made by Pentair. While it does capture some debris, it never seems to get the bottom of the pool completely clean, so we started looking at a potential replacement.

The current setup is that the cleaner is on it's own timer and has its own pump. I guess it's a pressure fed system, because the cleaner is hooked to a long tube that connects to one of the ports in the pool itself. Obviously I'm a rookie at this because I can't explain exactly how the thing works. The big advantage that we see is that we never have to remove the cleaner from the pool except to empty the debris bag. The major disadvantage is that it doesn't seem to clean that well.

So my question is really what cleaner would you recommend with that current setup (i.e. leaving it in the pool on it's own timer and pump system)? Is the current setup optimal or is it better to get the cleaners that you have to haul in and out of the pool every time you want to use it?

Thank you.
    28k gallon AG pebble sheen, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Intelliflo 3HP, SWG, TF-100 test kit, spa
    Pool installed 2005/2006 (we bought house in summer 2014 so our knowledge of pool history is limited)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help with Cleaner

Here is a good article comparing the types of cleaners: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners

The boosted pressure cleaners are the least efficient since you have to run 2 pumps for them to clean.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Here is a good article comparing the types of cleaners: Pool School - Automatic Pool Cleaners

The boosted pressure cleaners are the least efficient since you have to run 2 pumps for them to clean.
    Thanks @jblizzle - that link is very helpful. I guess we currently have the pressure cleaner category but it sure seems to be lacking in capabilities.
    28k gallon AG pebble sheen, Pentair Triton II Sand Filter, Intelliflo 3HP, SWG, TF-100 test kit, spa
    Pool installed 2005/2006 (we bought house in summer 2014 so our knowledge of pool history is limited)

4. Back To Top    #4

We inherited a Dirt Devil pool cleaner when we bought the house. It works great and runs for 3 1/2 hours/cycle. Once it completes a cycle we just turn it off, wait ten seconds and turn it back on. So far it has been bullet proof running every day for the last month. Dirt Devil Aqua was bought out by another company, at least the pool cleaner side. Nothing fancy but it works.