Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Brand new Haywood pump/filter loses suction/outflow every 2 hours or so....

1. Back To Top    #1

Cool Brand new Haywood pump/filter loses suction/outflow every 2 hours or so....

Hi there- I just got a used Intex Ultra Frame pool, 16' x 48". The pump that came with it, also Intex, was just not doing much of anything, so I decided to invest in a new sand filter/pump combo. Hayward S144T1540S Pro Series Top-Mount Sand Filter 14-Inch 4-way Valve and 40 GPM Pump

I got it up and running, and WOW, what a difference! But then.... after a couple of hours, we noticed it wasn't sucking or blowing (sorry, but that's what it seems like) with nearly as much pressure as before. So we unplugged it (sort of a reboot) and plugged it in again. Poof!! Working great again. And then it slowly started declining. We have brand new pipes, brand new sand, using Baquacil for chemicals. Just wondering if this is something that's to be expected, or if it isn't, is there something to do? There don't appear to be any leaks anywhere. Any help is appreciated!! I'm sure I'll have many more questions

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Brand new Haywood pump/filter loses suction/outflow every 2 hours or so....

Welcome to TFP!!!

What does your water look like?

FYI, we are not big fans of the Baq method of pool care ... lots of money for sub-par water.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Brand new Haywood pump/filter loses suction/outflow every 2 hours or so....

What did you fill the pool with? How did you start up your sand filter? What are the pressure reading on the sand filter (clean pressure at start up versus what your seeing when it slows down)? I believe new sand requires a bit of backwashing to get it cleaned of any fine particles in it. Have you tried backwashing the filter a little to see if that helps?
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates