Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Will Alum help to remove Laundry Detergent

1. Back To Top    #1

Huntsville, Alabama

Will Alum help to remove Laundry Detergent

Yesterday so many responded to my use of Arm&Hammer detergent instead of bicarb. Got some great advice as well as some sympathy.

Today, I am remembering the use of Alum some years ago to help clarify my pool. Could this be used to remove the detergent? I am following the advice to Shock and let time help, however, I am always trying to find the best solution to any problem.

Thanks so much for your responses. This is the best site I have found for helping each other.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: Will Alum help to remove Laundry Detergent

Alum is essentially a flocculant and we don't like them.

Sometimes flocs can help and often time flocs give you a bigger mess than you started with.

It's your call but I would not suggest ANY floc in your pool.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Just scoop the foam from the surface of the pool and the rest will dissipate over time. That's how most people handle detergent in the pool. It's not causing any issues and is just a nuisance due to the foaming.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    East Texas

Dang chem geek.........I wanted to drag over a load of clothes first! As he said, scoop foam and rest will take care of itself with no issues.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!