Taste Borates?

Oct 21, 2008
Terre Haute, IN
I have read numerous threads giving all the positives of borates, any negatives? Anyone that has done it, is there any detectable tastes ( I noticed its hit and miss for salt and SWG levels, what about at 50ppm borates)? Does this mess with anything in the pool as far as negatives due to increasing TDS?

Borates had no impact on taste, as far as I could tell in my pool. Nor have any friends or family ever commented on the taste, just on how the water sparkles.

If you have dogs that drink out of your pool, you might want to break them of that habit if you're going to add borates to your pool. This is generally a non-issue due to the low level of borates used in a pool, but I always mention it when someone asks about the pro's and con's of adding borates, just to make sure that the person asking the question is fully informed, because borates in high enough concentrations can harm your dogs. Again, the low levels used in pools should not harm your dog, but I want to make you aware of the possibility.

For that matter, salt, chlorine, algaecides, or any other pool chemical in high enough concentrations can harm pets that drink out of a pool. Best idea is to train the pets NOT to drink out of the pool!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.