Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Foam between paver deck and coping

1. Back To Top    #1

Foam between paver deck and coping

My Contract states in two places that to maintain my warranty on the Coping, Tile, and Pool Shell, I need to install an "isolation joint filled with 1/2 inch by 4 inch expansion joint material (i.e., ethafoam)" between the decking and the Coping. In another place it indicates I need to use "polysulfide or equal material."

My Contractor doing the decking thinks it is a bad idea to do this because it will look bad in a year or two and he doesn't think the foam can protect anything.

I'm having him do it to protect my warranty, but am curious what people think . Please note that my decking is the Techo Block INCA pavers (with no concrete base).

Thanks
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Foam between paver deck and coping

I had the same thing done between my aggregate and coping. Others may be able to explain more of the technical side but it is my understanding it allows for expansion and such during the freeze and thaw of winter. Or at least that is what I was told. I was also told it will be caulked over next year and will be unnoticeable.
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

3. Back To Top    #3

Its a bad idea NOT to do it. If you don't have an expansion joint the movement from the deck could crack the bond beam (worst case) what you want is a product called deck-o-seal. Its a self leveling poly sealant. Silkaflex or something like that is a product sold at home depot that can also be used.
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

4. Back To Top    #4

IMG_1982.jpg

My contractor installed the foam today. The picture shows what he used (although it was 1/2 inch by 4 inches). Is this ok? It wasn't deckoseal
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

5. Back To Top    #5

That's what my PB used.
    Gunite 35X15 rectangle w/15X5 tan ledge (giving it an "L" shape) and 6X2 swim out love seat; white marblelite plaster; depth: 3'6-7'6; 24,750 gallons; SWG (Mineral Springs); Pentair C&C 420 w/ VS 3050 pump; 400K Natural Gas heater; coping: 12" PA Full Range Flagstone; 2 Color Change LED Lights; jump rock; 2' exposed backside wall; 700 square feet exposed aggregate decking

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

That is correct. The deck-o-seal goes on top of the expansion joint to seal and hide the foam. I recommend Silkaflex. Deck-o-seal also has a newer premixed product that is night and day easier to apply than the original.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

7. Back To Top    #7

My PB suggested that we use the polymeric sand that is going between the pavers. Anyone ever do that?

8. Back To Top    #8

I meant he suggests using the polymeric sand over the foam

9. Back To Top    #9

Unfortunately the sand over the foam would be useless becuase the sand can't compact. I do recommend putting sand over a fresh silkaflex or deck-o-seal. Doing this it will mimic the look of grout. I like silkaflex but your color options are limited. Deco seal has a a few more colors but cost more
    28k gal/raised spa, IG quartzscape, WhistperFlo 2 speed B2984T,DEV60 filter,Lxi400 NG heater, Polaris 280 cleaner, DIY Chlorine injection, Build completion 7/2013

10. Back To Top    #10

The polymeric sand hardens once it is sprayed with water. You still think it would be useless? I have no opinion but just wanted to make sure you realized we were using the sand that hardens like concrete

11. Back To Top    #11

One side of that foam should be perforated so after the work is done the top 1/2" of foam can be easily pulled away leaving a 1/2" x 1/2" channel for grout to be added to improve the aesthetics and minimize water absorption. At least all the rolls I have seen do.
    16' x 32' (21100 gal), vinyl, 1.5 hp Hayward SuperPump,
    Tagelus TA60/60D Sand Filter, Raypak 399K Digital Heater, TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

I have flagstone mortared to the bond beam, then the flagstone deck is floating on compacted base and sand. All joints are filled with polymeric sand, including between the coping and deck. I went this way because the sealants look terrible, and eventually have to be redone. The polymeric can be touched up easily.
    36' x 18' 20k in ground, Finest Finish grey plaster, Pentair Tagelus 100D sand filter, Hayward Northstar 2hp pump, Jandy LRZ125EN heater, spill over spa, iaqualink controlled automation, Stenner chlorination, natural rock and flagstone coping, 1" glass mosaic waterline tile, SR Smith Vortex slide.

13. Back To Top    #13

When I said useless I was referring to the expansion joint. Putting the sand on top wouldn't allow for the expansion joint to work as designed. The pool is in the ground so its not going anywhere but the deck floats on top of the ground. As the deck warms and cools it will expand and contract. With the pool being stationary and the deck moving it is possible for a few problems to develop down the road. For example crack tiles, tiles falling off, skimmer leaking with huge temperatures swings and worse case is a cracked bondbeam. Some people don't have an expansion joint and don't have problems.

14. Back To Top    #14

UPDATE:

So my Landscaper ended up putting just the polymeric sand over the foam and it washed away in many spots. In other spots it stayed, but the sand itself didn't completely harden. Should I have him come back and put the Sika flex on the spots where it washed away and you can see the foam? Should I do anything on the spots where the polymeric sand is still there but not completely hardened?

Thanks

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

It all needs to be consistent or it's not going to look that nice. I would take out the sand - shouldn't be that difficult, and replace all with the caulk - in a color (tan, grey, etc.) that blends with your coping/deck.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks everyone. I found someone to use Sikaflex and it looks good.