Time to make leap to TFPC method?

Welcome to TFP!

I can tell you from experience that if you SLAM before closing then nothing is living in your water over the winter and you open to clear water. I typically still have an FC reading at opening in fact. SLAM is designed to kill everything, not just a 1-time "shock" and hope that did it.

Have you gotten a proper test kit yet? It really is necessary to have accurate numbers to care for your pool using the methods taught here. I have a link in my signature below, the TF-100 is a great investment that pays for itself in a couple months of using TFPC methods.

What is the absolute first step?

Hi - I'm new to posting here. I've read much on between this and another site about opening pools. I know this seems like a silly question but I had been opening in the past by just trying to get the CYA and FC levels up, and then balancing.

Unfortunately (maybe I'm being stubborn), I'm having a hard time figuring out the absolute first step recommended after opening the pool. I open the pool, add water to the correct level, and then what? Should I get the pool balanced and then add the cholorine?

Re: What is the absolute first step?

Welcome to TFP!
Please keep your posts in one thread. I see you have just started this one when you already had one started.

How are you testing your water is the first thing we need to know?

Can you post a full set of numbers please?

I will second that motion about the TF-100. :goodjob: I love mine. Best thing I ever did for my pool - along with following TFP and this site. Please take a moment to read the links in Donldson or my signatures. They really help you to understand what TFP is all about. If you have any questions later, just post some test results and you'll have more replies than you bargained for. :)

I'm new to this too...but I've bought into quickly. This is my 3rd year of having the pool and in the past few days have learned more about what I need to do rather than relying on the pool scam...i mean store.

Got my TF100XL today actually there is a lot to it but it def helps you take control of your pool maintenance. Great forum and people here.

I feel once I get the maintenance part honed in...it'll be way cheaper and not having to make a trip to pool store

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. Sorry for the delay in posting. I've had my pool for 5 seasons now; it came with the house. Every time it rains hard, my pool fills up with water and dirt and mud. Well, it rained hard and turned the water deep, dark brown. It's like someone dumped a half a yard of mulch in there! So, after working so hard on getting it balanced and then to have the water get so messed up so fast, I had enough. What made it worse was I went to a neighbor's house to see his pool and it was crystal clear. So, I looked through the old paperwork from the prior owners and called up the contractor. Apparently, this is a known issue! He and the previous owners argued about this for a while: he blames their landscaping and I guess they blamed him. Anyway, I'm furious and I'll have to figure out the solution.

Enough venting...I'm using the Taylor Complete FAS-DPD Pool Water Test[FONT=arial, sans-serif] Kit K-2006. I'm pretty good with it. I've let the pool run for 2 days, cleaned the cartridges and now I'm left with green water (instead of brown), so I'm starting from scratch. Based on the above, it looks like I need to get my all of my numbers together (which I should be able to do today) and then go from there. Important question: should I start with chlorine in the mean time to help get rid of the green?[/FONT]

Impossible to know how much chlorine to add without knowing what your CYA level is .... I am sure there is no harm in adding up to 5ppm of FC in the meantime. Sounds like it might get consumed quickly anyway.

Certainly does sound like either the pool was build too low or the landscaping is too high ... might need to add retaining walls or french drain or something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.