CC level rising...newbie to BBB method

BeckyB

Jun 1, 2015
Umpire, Arkansas
Ok, a little backstory first...new house came with pool and last year I had help from the previous owner teaching me about pool and went route of pool store for chemicals, water testing,etcetera (because I didn't know any better). It took an extremely long time last year to get pool clear and ready.

This year...I am going it alone after discovering BBB method. I bought my Taylor K-2006 test kit. First night I shocked with 4 lbs cal-hypo and 2 gallons bleach (8.25%) the next morning was clearer so I tested and here were my levels:

FC-1.5
CC-1
ph-7
TA-75
CY-30

So I went to Pool Calculator and generated what I needed to add, more shock and bleach, stabilizer, Borax, BS and also put some Yellow Out in and that night pool much clearer and dead algae on bottom. So this morning I tested and here are my levels:

FC-3
CC-4.5
ph-7.2
TA-110
CY-55

So why is my CC going up? What can I do? In all, I have added 9 lbs of shock and 4 gallons of bleach...can you over shock a pool?

I also have an in-line Hayward chlorinator but there is nothing in it and it is turned off, trying not to use it this year as I have read lots of negative posts about them.

Any help would be appreciated...I am a newbie!

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

You are trying to mix pool store advice and TFPC advice. It won't work! The Yellow Out you added is an ammonia product, so chlorine was consumed and converted to CC.

The test results you didn't post was the CH test. I''m concerned over that one because of all the CalHypo shock you have used which raises CH.

I guess my question is, why are you "shocking" your pool? Is it cloudy? Is it green? Do you see algae?

We do not "shock" our pools, we follow the SLAM Process when there is a problem. A SLAM is a continuous process of adding chlorine to a pool multiple times a day over multiple days maintaining the shock level of chlorine until the pool is completely clear/clean, not a one time addition of chlorine. Additionally, you should be using liquid chlorine; (8.25% bleach or 10/12.5% chlorinating liquid). Solid forms of chlorine are adding things you may not need to your pool.

You are heading in the right direction! Just stay out of the pool store unless you want to buy toys LOL

For right now do a SLAM just like Tim talks about above. THAT is all you need to do. It is much cheaper and works MUCH better without the side effects of the other stuff.

Let us know how it is going!

Kim

Thanks for the info...very informative so far! To answer your question Tim the pool was very swampy with lots of algae. So I shouldn't be using the packets of shock, just the liquid bleach? I have been using the 8.25% kind in conjunction with shocking. This is wrong? I will go test for CH right now and report back with results shortly.

Okay, I tested for CH and the water never turned red....so I have no CH?

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure why previous post didn't show up but I had a green swampy pool with lots of algae...so I shouldn't be using packets of shock? I was using in conjunction with 8.25% liquid bleach...so just use liquid bleach?

Ok so I went out and got my bleach and added 7 121 oz jugs last night and here are my readings this morning:

FC-0.5
CC-1
ph-7
TA-90
CY-50
CH-120

So my CC is going down, which is good. I guess I will add 7 more gallons today.

On a side note, I called a local pool store and asked if they sold liquid bleach...she said they aren't allowed to sell it in the state of Arkansas?? Is she pulling my leg or has anyone else encountered this? Seemed a little fishy.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So far the SLAM is going very well! After my last readings yesterday morning, I added my bleach as per the Pool Calculator and when I came back around 2:30 that afternoon my FC was up to 12 and my CC was down to 0.5. So I added more bleach after that, trying to get to my 20 target.

I just tested this morning and here are new levels:

FC-15
CC-0 (yay!)
ph-7.4
cy-50
TA-110
CH-130

Do I need to keep going until I reach 20 just to be safe? And how do I know when I am ready bringing the FC level down?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.