Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Disconnecting Automatic Chlorinator

1. Back To Top    #1

Disconnecting Automatic Chlorinator

So I have a Hayward Automatic Chlorinator which I want to disconnect. It is currently plumbed into my one of my main pipes (PVC). How can I disconnect it and plug up the hole? Is there another method? I want to use liquid chlorine only and I want to stop with the chlorinator. Currently I have it off but I am not sure if that is enough. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Disconnecting Automatic Chlorinator

can you not just cut it out and put in new pvc with some slip couplers? should be about $3 worth of materials from home depot.
    Dan
    9,000 gallon in-ground Saltwater pool, plaster, cartridge filer, 1.0 hp pump, Hayward T-15 SWCG, TF-100
    Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart; Pool School - Test Kits Compared;

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Pics are invaluable!
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Ziggygal, I also have a Hayward in-line chlorinator that I no longer use since I follow TFP. I simply leave the chlorinator empty. It doesn't hurt anything, and I don't really see a need for you to cut into your lines just to remove it. If anything, you may use it on a VERY rare occasion .. for example, you know your CYA is at its low range and you go out of tow for a while. You cold drop a puck or two in there and know you are getting some chlorination until you get back. But really, there's no need to remove it. Leave it as a reminder of how much money you are saving by not filling it up.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

5. Back To Top    #5

Hi Texas Splash.

So I just leave it empty and off? That is really enough? That would save me so much trouble!
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

6. Back To Top    #6

All of this is assuming when you say "automatic" chlorinator, it is the same as an "in-line" chlorinator. Not sure if there's a difference.

- - - Updated - - -

If you click on the "My Pool" link in my signature, you'll see my in-line chlorinator. If we have the same thing, then yes, you can just leave it empty. If you have something different than mine, post back and we'll re-address your issue more specifically.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hi,

I have a picture of my chlorinator.

You can see it next to my pump on the floor. It is connected to the pvc pipe going into the pump with small tubing. Again, is it enough to shut it off and keep it empty?

Thanks again!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    11.5K gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 HP Hayward Pump, Hayward sand filter, Hayward Chlorinator (Turned Off), Raypak Heater, Taylor FAS-DPD K2006C T/K

8. Back To Top    #8

Oh, that IS different than mine. I can't see the need to go out of your way to remove it, but honestly I'd feel better if someone else would chime-in who perhaps has owned on of their own. Yet something else I can learn from today as well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Just leave it there and turn it off. From the photos it has a small tube feeding it from just after the pump and then injects the chlorinated water somewhere down the line I can't see.

Remember, TFP isn't "against" pucks. You just need to understand what they add and control it. I am a prime example. I started last year with CYA 200+. I have now worked it down to 40, but I want it at 50. I'm holding off for a few weeks until I go out of town and I'm going to supplement my Stenner Pump with pucks to bring the CYA back to the 50 I want.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks tim5055! I prefer the liquid chlorine but can use the chlorinator for times when I am not around like vacation. I would rather keep it plumbed in just for these types of situations. Thanks!

11. Back To Top    #11

12. Back To Top    #12

I have the same Hayward auto chlorinator. I just removed the pucks and put it on a low setting for a few days to clear it out, then turned it off.
    20000 gallon vinyl liner in ground pool
    16' X 34' rectangular diving pool
    Hayward Pro Grid DE Filter
    Hayward 1 hp Super Pump
    TF-100 Test Kit Stenner 45MPHP10

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks 440dodge440!! I did just that last night!! This forum is awesome!