Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to clean up green pool full of leaves - vacuuming to waste question

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to clean up green pool full of leaves - vacuuming to waste question

Hi,
    I have been following many threads on how to get a green swamp back to normal, and I need some help with one piece of this puzzle. I want to vacuum to waste because I can't seem to get the leaves out of the bottom of the deep end using a leaf net. I have a sand filer, and I do have a waste option on my multliport controls.
    So my question is how do I arrange the valves on my plumbing to vacuum to waste? To filter I have the one on the left open and the one on the right closed. To backwash I reverse this process. I am new to owning a pool and am a little hazy on the plumbing aspect and do not have anyone to help explain it to me in person.

Also, when I rinse I am leaving the valves in the same position as when I backwash. Is this correct? I would think it is so I don't send dirt back into the pool. All of the labels on the filter have disintegrated so I can't tell when it is. I can take a picture of the plumbing if that would help.

Thank you for any assistance. The folks here are so knowledgable and helpful, I love this forum ��
    25,000 IG vinyl. Sand filter. Came with the house, not sure when it was built. K2006 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Trying to clean up green pool full of leaves - vacuuming to waste question

Welcome to TFP!!

Please post pics of your pump and filter plumbing. Can't really help without them.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

hi,
    I am trying to get a picture to upload, I have tried from my ipad and my PC and keep getting error 2038 ugh!! I will keep trying, thanks for replying.

Thanks!
    25,000 IG vinyl. Sand filter. Came with the house, not sure when it was built. K2006 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

There is a tutorial on how to upload pics. (i'm not sure how to find it, I just know it exists)
    I know that if they are too bug you will get that error. (i did the same thing)
    The biggest suggestion is to get a photobucket account and then post a link.
    Bob - Palm Beach by San Juan Pools. approx 5000 gals., Pentair 320 cartridge filter (all new guts installed by me), Goldline SWG, 'New to me' Kreepy Krauly Sand Shark, Intermec 104 Timer Test kit: TF-100 w/Speed Stir

5. Back To Top    #5

ok, here is a link to the picture (hopefully) Ann-Marie_Transue's Library | Photobucket

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

Link is working for the picture.
    Can you get a little closer to the valves you mention in your post. (not too close, but a little more detail will be helpful)

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay... when you vacuum to waste you want both valves open. You'll know you have things right when stuff gets sucked into the vacuum hose and no water is going back to the pool. You are aware that when you vacuum to waste, you will lose several inches of water, correct? So you might want to start adding water to the pool now and keep it running while you vacuum.

The valve on the far right shouldn't actually be there. That's the waste line. Unless the multiport (that big dial) is set on waste or backwash it should just sit there empty. I suspect the gasket inside the multiport is bad and it leaks and rather than fix it properly, someone cut the pipe and added a valve.

Multiport

The gasket inside
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, I added a few more pictures. Let me know if this helps. I am constantly fighting the ivy and weeds out here, I had to uncover all of the equipment, it was lost to plant life when I first moved in and I just had a green hump by the pool!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, I am adding water as we speak, thanks for the heads up though! So both valves open to vacuum to waste. Am I doing it right when I shut the left valve to back wash and rinse? I wish someone had been living here to show me this stuff, I am just reading and trying to understand. I bought the recommended test kit and read all of the basics on chemistry on here and feel better about understanding that part at least. Now I just need to understand the physical set up ��. Thank you for helping me! I did post more pictures if that helps see what I am working with.

9. Back To Top    #9

I don't know exactly what the left valve does. I just know it's on the suction line and you say you use it on filter mode.

It will be worth your while to identify what valve is in which line. The waste line is the one on the far right. The line going into the front of the pump is the suction line, so it goes to any skimmers you have and the main drain if you have one. So if you experiment a little, you should figure out which valve shuts off what and identify things by process of elimination.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

10. Back To Top    #10

Can you read the words on the multiport? It looks just like what Richard posted. THAT is what you change to get your filter to do different jobs. Make sure your pump is OFF before you move the multiport.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I can read the words on the port, my question is about the valves on the lines and which to open for different functions. I opened both, and vacuumed. It definitely dumped out the waste line. Then I tried to shut the one on the right, which is tough to turn and it snapped off. So now I need a plumber. I have the worst luck sometimes!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Annmariet View Post
    I can read the words on the port, my question is about the valves on the lines and which to open for different functions. I opened both, and vacuumed. It definitely dumped out the waste line. Then I tried to shut the one on the right, which is tough to turn and it snapped off. So now I need a plumber. I have the worst luck sometimes!
    The one on the right shouldn't even need to be there, as I mentioned above. The multiport valve controls the flow to the waste line. If you're not on backwash, rinse, or waste, nothing should be coming out that port, period.

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks Richard! I have the pump running and a pool plumber is coming out to look at this. Hopefully I can get some information on what does what, and get rid of that valve if it is indeed a gasket leak issue. Once I can get this resolved, hopefully I can get this pool usable. It is still murky but it is slowly getting better thanks to all the great info on this site��