Help! We put the return skimmer fitting behind an upright!!

lovestoswim

Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
May 31, 2015
Milford, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are installing a 21x43 oval and today we finally got the wall up. In the instruction manual I read that the skimmer fitting needs to be in the corner between the uprights. Well we did that with the square skimmer fitting but the round fitting where the hose fits is right smack dab in line with the upright!

My dad said he could just cut a hole in the upright and fit the hose through. Another person mentioned sealing the old hole and making a new one and then there is trying to move the wall which took 7 of us just to put up. I can't imagine having to move that thing with all of the progress we have made.

What would be your recommendation?

Re: Help! We put the return skimmer fitting behind an upright!

I need to take a the hose from the return out there to see if it sticks out enough to come outside of the upright. Kicking myself big time for not realizing this!! I really wish the manual would have told us that the wall joint should be behind an upright, that would have fixed the whole thing.

We are clearly in over our heads with this! We hired a contractor to overpromised and did non of the work he said he was going to do so we ended up doing it ourselves.

I will be of no help but if you put up a picture explaining what happend maybe someone will be able to help..

I would take it down an assemble it correctly. You are going to have the pool for many years, a couple of more days installing it correctly is worth the trouble. It does seem somewhat obvious that the seam should be hidden behind an upright.

You need to have the bolts of the seams behind an up right post. A post is to cover that ugly seam and it Will allow you access to the openings of the skimmer and return.

Sorry but you need to do this over and make it right. There are no short cuts with these BIG POOLS.

Our instruction manual just said that some pool walls hide the seam and some do not. Our manual did not say that the joint had to be in line with the post. It was a major mistake. We have never done something like this and we are honestly in way over our heads. I just thought that the square skimmer section had to be between the the two posts.

Thank You all...we are still not sure what to do as we now have all sand tamped and ready for liner. A part of me wants to order a new upright and then when we are ready for a new liner move the wall then and have the upright available to replace the other one. Losing sleep over the whole thing!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know this is frustrating, usually, post that do not hide seams are very small pools. You have a huge pool so you are excluded from this. You need to do it over. I know you don't want to hear it but that's just what you need to do. I'm sorry you're frustrated but you will thank us and yourself later. By the time you get a new upright, you'll be done doing it over! Clear your head think about this logically. You know It's wrong because the return is blocked. So fix it. Start the seam behind a post like it should be an 're do it.

Again, I'm sorry but let's get to it and redo it! If I were closer, I'd come over and help you.

Those teenagers were with us all weekend which was awesome as we thought we would be putting wall up on Friday but 2 days were spent just getting uprights level and square.

How would you recommend we move the wall? Would you leave the wall together and try to push it through the rails? I don't even know if that is possible. If we do move the wall what is the best way to do so without disturbing our tamped sand?

You REALLY need to move the wall :( I am so sorry but it needs to be done.

It is NOT safe to drill into the uprights. I KNOW you have done a lot of work on the walls and sand.

Is your safety really worth taking a chance?

IF you have enough people you MIGHT be able to push it on the bottom track. I see people working in teams. One on one side of the wall and another in the same spot on the other side of the wall. One, Two, Three push! Just make sure you are going in the correct direction.

I do not see any way to save your sand work at least by the wall. :(

Kim (who wishes she lived by you so I could help)

We would only be putting a 2" round hole through about the middle of the upright. The uprights I believe are at least 6-8 inches wide. What would be the safety concern?

Thank You for trying to help :)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank You Kim! You are so sweet...I wish you were here too and so do our helpers :) We really need someone to help that has experience.

Would you take the wall joint apart?

Thank You for your honesty Casey. How would you recommend we move the wall through? It needs moved about a foot. Would you take the wall apart or keep it together and push it through the rails?

You need to get the screws out of the seam and not take short cuts. The wall needs rolled up and started over. Please, if You want to correct the problem, let's do it right.

Unscrew the wall.
Put a piece of cardboard on the floor base and roll the wall on top of it.
Wrap the wall back up.
Start at a post and line the wall seam up to the post.
Unroll the wall moving to cardboard as you go to protect the bottom.
Bolt the sides back up.
Fix the imperfections in the sand and redo the cove.
Drop the liner.
Fill the pool.

Your pool is to big to even think about siding the wall in the track. It will never happen! There is no short cut. DO NOT CUT THE UPRIGHT!

My husband helped me come up with a way to show why NOT to cut the upright. Picture this:

A popsicle stick. It will have a tiny bit of give to it when bent. Now drill a hole in it. It will not just give, it will bend and break where the hole is. Scary stuff and so NOT worth it!

Unbolt the wall and do like Casey said. With that size I really do not think it will slip or move at all.

Kim

My husband helped me come up with a way to show why NOT to cut the upright. Picture this:

A popsicle stick. It will have a tiny bit of give to it when bent. Now drill a hole in it. It will not just give, it will bend and break where the hole is. Scary stuff and so NOT worth it!

Unbolt the wall and do like Casey said. With that size I really do not think it will slip or move at all.

Kim

We are taking your advice and moving the wall. We have about 8 guys coming on Wed. So the good news is today we took a little break! I still need to be up and running by Friday so hopefully all goes well with wall and then will be ready for liner.

Thank You all so much for your tough love!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.