CYA Test Standard?

Yev

Jul 29, 2014
Independence, KY
I'll start by saying I hate the CYA test. Never can decide about the black dot.

Somewhere I have read a post where someone posted how to measure the percentage of chlorine in your bleach involving taking one liter of DI water and a 1uL syringe of bleach, and doing the FC test to measure the amount of chlorine that you have. This is handy to determine if your bleach has gotten old and is no longer full concentration.

This got me to thinking. I hate the CYA test. I have such a hard time deciding if I can see the black dot or not. So I was wondering if someone had come up with a method to make a CYA water standard that you would know is say 50ppm (or any number that you know) so you can test it and make sure that you are reading your water correctly. I was thinking something like taking 1 liter of DI water, adding X ounces of stabilizer. Someone far better that the pool math would need to help me out with the math, and maybe it would need to be made with 1 gallon of water, or 5 gallons of water.

Can anyone help me with this idea?

I'll start by saying I hate the CYA test. Never can decide about the black dot.

Somewhere I have read a post where someone posted how to measure the percentage of chlorine in your bleach involving taking one liter of DI water and a 1uL syringe of bleach, and doing the FC test to measure the amount of chlorine that you have. This is handy to determine if your bleach has gotten old and is no longer full concentration.

This got me to thinking. I hate the CYA test. I have such a hard time deciding if I can see the black dot or not. So I was wondering if someone had come up with a method to make a CYA water standard that you would know is say 50ppm (or any number that you know) so you can test it and make sure that you are reading your water correctly. I was thinking something like taking 1 liter of DI water, adding X ounces of stabilizer. Someone far better that the pool math would need to help me out with the math, and maybe it would need to be made with 1 gallon of water, or 5 gallons of water.

Can anyone help me with this idea?
You can just buy a 50 CYA Standard Solution

I will look into buying that. I didnt know they sold it, thanks for the fast response.

As a DIY person, is there a way to make it easily. I already have water and stabilizer, should be pretty easy. Although, maybe it is not easy to be accurate in making the standard at home, and I would be better just adding that to my kit resupply.

50 ppm is 50 milligrams per liter so if you can accurately measure 50 milligrams of pure CYA with a very accurate microscale, then you can add it to one liter of water to use as a standard. Remember that CYA takes a while to dissolve. Crushing it into a powder (before weighing it) will have it dissolve more quickly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.