New Plaster with Issues 4 weeks Post

pattenpool

Platinum Supporter
In The Industry
Jun 5, 2014
The Woodlands, Tx
We had a contractor resurface a pool with standard white plaster about a month ago. He does about 20-25 of these per year for us. We went through the normal routine of brushing and balancing chems during the first week and turned it over to the customer with the typical instructions; no cleaner, vacuum, no shock, no heater and no swimming for 30 days. The customer leaves on vacation for a week and comes back to the cleaner in the pool, dark blue areas and what appears to be scratch marks on the bottom surface of the pool. The spa and all benches/steps are still in great condition. The company who maintains the pool knew of the resurfacing and apparently were the ones who thru the Polaris in the second week and who knows what else.

Now the homeowner wants someone to blame so I went out to check the chemistry which was all within standard industry practices (chlorine pool, water is from a treated utility district). I lowered the TA to 0 for 24 hours, then 48 hours with no change in the blue spots. Even direct application of acid on blue spots did nothing.

I am at a lost as to what happened, the plaster contractor takes no responsibility as does the maintenance company. Has anyone seen this type of outcome within a short period of time and what might have caused this?

Welcome to TFP!

Sounds like a lack of communication problem on more than one side. So this plaster company was a sub for you? Sounds like you are kind of stuck without many options, and I'm sorry to say, I don't have an answer. If the blue spots aren't from metal, like Copper, it seems to me it's an install issue. It's unfortunate, but until some industry standards are established, it looks like Plaster companies will still have all the freedom they need to blame chemistry or something else for install problems.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.