Hiramhaus - 1986 Indoor pool - been turned off since 2000

Oct 31, 2008
Hello-

I am buying a house with a pool - as the title says it has been turned off since 2000 however the pool room has been heated. It has been inspected by our realator's pool guy and he says for 2k he could get it up clean and re-streatch the liner in the corners. It has some algae in it currently however the water is clear. It is said to have been installed in 1986 and only be swam in 8 times. The woman who owned it was scared of the liability of having a pool when she rented rooms in her house. the pump equiptment are supposedly in "excellent" condition, and it is INSIDE with a REZNOR type heater in the pool room. We are on the verge of closing on the house and are going to buy it regardless of the pools condition, as the house is worth it. Any ideas of weather an old pump system thats "great" should be replace with a new more efficient one? How much to expect to pay per month for utility and chemical if I do ALL the work myself? Looks like I have some work to do. Here is a pic - sorry its so huge - I'll try and make it smaller.

SO... any advice?
how about that awesome cieling??!

zpool6.jpg

First , Welcome to the forum!! :wave: :wave:

First thing I suggest you do if your going to be taking control of your pool water from the start is to get a reliable test kit. One is available from this forum and a lot of members here use it for the simple fact that help with any test kit issues are available here 24/7 because at one time or another someone has had the same troubles.

Just so you know what chemicals are in your water I suggest taking a sample to your local pool store and get it tested then post your numbers here and we will be able to help if your not able to test yourself. Others here will have some valuable info as well.

A trip to the local grocery store/ walmart/ kmart etc is in order to get yourself some liquid bleach to fight the algae. Fill your cart and when you think you have enough put in some more !

Do some reading in our Pool School. There is lots of great info there for you to read. Ask your questions and well have your pool crystal clear in no time at all !!

Good Luck !

Any ideas of weather an old pump system thats "great" should be replace with a new more efficient one? How much to expect to pay per month for utility and chemical if I do ALL the work myself?

Let's see a pic of the equipment in question, and if you can get the info off the pump (volts, HP, amps) filter (sq ft or amount of sand) and heater (BTUs) we can give you a better idea of what it will cost to run it vs. newer equipment.

Is this connected to the rest of the house?

Welcome to TFP! Did they give you a quote on what it would cost to replace the liner? I'm not up on liner pricing but 2k seems like a lot when you are keeping the same liner. It's a safe bet that new equipment is going to be more efficient and cheaper to run than 22+ year old gear, but the question is would it be enough of a savings off-set the actual cost of the new equipment. Like spishex said, a little more information will help us advise you on that. Even if the pump and heater have been very well protected, they've still got a lot of age on them so I would not expect a lot of life even if they do work right now. Without any other information, my inclination would be to try and get the sellers to cough up some money to cover the neglect (never hurts to ask) and then replace the liner and the equipment.

Either way, congrats on the new home and pool! Hopefully you'll find lots of helpful information here on the site. I recommend starting with the "Pool School" link at the top of the page.

Sean

The house is in a "fixer upper" status and also an estate sale for a living individual. We are purchasing it by unique means. It is currently rented to someone. We did look at it from the standpoint of no pool, and found it to be a good deal for us, however with pool would be a very good deal. Keeping our fingers crossed and trying not to "make waves". Most of our requirements have to do with handicap access and location.