Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Let me know problems with this plan, Solar heating install

1. Back To Top    #1

Let me know problems with this plan, Solar heating install

Hi all,

I have a 17000 gal pool, I want to try some solar heating.

I want to connect a spare 110v 1/2hp pump I have to 2-28"x20' solar heating panels separate from the main pool plumbing.

The panels will be on the opposite side of the pool from the main plumbing & I would turn it on & off manually.

I would have a suction & discharge hose that I would be able to put into the pool and remove.

I want to do this as a test this year to see what kind of results I get before I permanently mount the panels on the roof & plumb everything together.

What am I missing or what should I look out for, or is this just a stupid idea altogether?

Thanks
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Let me know problems with this plan, Solar heating install

They will have to be REALLY big hoses. How far away from the pool will the panels and pump be?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Panels on the ground? 1-1/2" or 2" pvc would be better. Otherwise, I don't see why not.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    They will have to be REALLY big hoses. How far away from the pool will the panels and pump be?
    I'm talking about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch suction & discharge hose 4 feet from the pool, the pump has 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet size, it is a pool pump, not a sump pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    Panels on the ground? 1-1/2" or 2" pvc would be better. Otherwise, I don't see why not.

The panels will be on a frame at the proper angle for my latitude with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch suction & discharge hose.
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, sounds good. Here's to warm water! I am a fan!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

It might be a good idea to hook up a mechanical timer with just the stop actuator in place (set to around 8pm) so if you forget to shut off the system, it shuts it down for you so you don't accidentally reverse the process and radiate all your heat back into the sky on a cool night.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

7. Back To Top    #7

What kind of panels are they and where did you get them?
    April 1, 2015 first fill of infinity edge of about 15,000 gallons. Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen, iAquaLink, Jandy 2 HP variable filter pump, Jandy 2.5 HP single speed feature pump, Jandy CL580 cartridge filter, Jandy heat pump, Jandy propane heater, spa of unknown size, 3 LEDs in pool, 2 LEDs in surge pond and 1 LED in spa, Eclipse EC-10 Del Ozone oxidizer and 4 Jandy laminars with Jandy CS100 filter built by California Pools in 2015.

8. Back To Top    #8

That's ~ 100 sq feet of panels. I think you are going to be undersized. I have ~384 square feet in the Sacramento area to keep from running the pump so much.

Also, you need to make sure you include a provision to "gravity" drain them so you don't get freeze damage.

I'd like to see a sketch if you have one.
    SWG: CircuPool (May 2014) SI30+Plus; 3000ppm seems ideal;
    My Ideal Specs:
    FC 5; PH 7.4-7.6; TA 90; CH 350; CYA 75; = SI ~ 0.19
    14,000 gal, in ground, plaster, Cartridge filter, Borates
    TAYLOR K - 2006

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by WardL View Post
    What kind of panels are they and where did you get them?

I haven't bought them yet, wanted to make sure the plan would work first.