Let me know problems with this plan, Solar heating install

Hi all,

I have a 17000 gal pool, I want to try some solar heating.

I want to connect a spare 110v 1/2hp pump I have to 2-28"x20' solar heating panels separate from the main pool plumbing.

The panels will be on the opposite side of the pool from the main plumbing & I would turn it on & off manually.

I would have a suction & discharge hose that I would be able to put into the pool and remove.

I want to do this as a test this year to see what kind of results I get before I permanently mount the panels on the roof & plumb everything together.

What am I missing or what should I look out for, or is this just a stupid idea altogether?

Thanks

They will have to be REALLY big hoses. How far away from the pool will the panels and pump be?

I'm talking about 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch suction & discharge hose 4 feet from the pool, the pump has 1 1/2 inch inlet/outlet size, it is a pool pump, not a sump pump.

- - - Updated - - -

Panels on the ground? 1-1/2" or 2" pvc would be better. Otherwise, I don't see why not.

The panels will be on a frame at the proper angle for my latitude with 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch suction & discharge hose.

It might be a good idea to hook up a mechanical timer with just the stop actuator in place (set to around 8pm) so if you forget to shut off the system, it shuts it down for you so you don't accidentally reverse the process and radiate all your heat back into the sky on a cool night.

That's ~ 100 sq feet of panels. I think you are going to be undersized. I have ~384 square feet in the Sacramento area to keep from running the pump so much.

Also, you need to make sure you include a provision to "gravity" drain them so you don't get freeze damage.

I'd like to see a sketch if you have one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.