Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need help with undiagnosed (in ground gunite pool) problem

1. Back To Top    #1

Wayne PA

Need help with undiagnosed (in ground gunite pool) problem

Hi All,
    im brand new here with a mysterious problem i'm unable to diagnose. A little about me and my pool It's a 16000 gal in ground gunite pool with Heyward DE filter and a polaris model 3900 I've had the pool for about 25-30 years and the pool was totally redone 4 years ago. Now the symptoms. It has not worked properly since opening last week But The system seems to run fine. I get around 10lbs of pressure showing on the gauge. I get water coming out of the returns, which is also sufficient to run the polaris properly (along with the booster pump turned on) The water does go into the strainer, however seemingly at a slow rate. This happens even when i isolate the skimmer, which seems very odd. The worst thing is i still have junk laying on the top of the water that wont go away. It kinda just stays there no matter what i try.

So i don't really know what to try. After a few days of this i suspected some type of weird clog or jam, so i put the pool into backflow mode, then back into filter mode. But this did NOT help resolve anything.

THis is what i've tried so far. The chemicals are in perfect balance. Also i've used some phosphorus stuff which is a once a week capful or so which usually helps with smaller particles and debris.

Anyway, the question is, what can i do or try that may help resolve this issue. Any ideas what is causing my slow skimmer issue ??
    ANy thoughts and or ideas are very welcome and greatly appreciated !!
    Thanks much in advance,

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Need help with undiagnosed (in ground gunite pool) problem

The most common problem is that the weir (flapper door) is missing.

Then there's the possibility that you got some debris caught in the pipes. Isolating the skimmer and flushing backwards from the pump inlet might dislodge it.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!