Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Covering the pump for the winter

1. Back To Top    #1
    Brookline, MA

Covering the pump for the winter

Jasonline wrote in his IG pool closing post:

"Cover pump - I leave an automatic cover pump on the cover for as long as it is above freezing overnight in the fall and spring."

Please suggest how to cover the pump. Where do I get a cover?
    This is my ticket for Heaven (when all's working..) :
    22k Gal gunite IGP, 38 SF Anthony DE filter, 1 HP Hayward Super Pump
    380k BTU Raypak Natural Gas Heater (Model RP405A) and solar cover
    8 gal Liquidator w/ 12% bleach, Dolphin Diagnostic Advantage robotic cleaner. 3800 ppm salt, 50 ppm borates.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: Covering the pump for the winter

Why do you want to cover the pump?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Water_man, i think you may have misunderstood what jasonlion meant. But, of course,maybe i am incorrect in my interpretation as well? I belive he was talking about a pump that you put onto the top of an automatic pool cover. When you put the pump on the cover and plug it in, it automatically comes on every few minutes "looking" for water. If water is detected, it will siphon it off the cover and out onto the ground via a garden hose. Works great.
    18,000 gal, 18x32 IGP, vinyl liner, 3 to 5.5ft depth. One inlet/skimmer (Aqua Genie), one main drain. Hayward Pro Series Sand Filter w/filtration rate of 20 GPM/FT, Two-Speed Pentair Whisperflo 1 HP pump, Natural Gas Hayward H200 pool heater, Aquabot T2 (200 Series) Robotic Pool Cleaner (my best friend), Automatic Electric Pool Cover (2nd best friend).

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

h2ctpdjl has it right. A "cover pump" is a small pump used to remove water from the pool cover. You don't normally need to put a cover onto the main pump, though some people cover it, and the rest of the equipment pad, with a tarp.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School