Acid Washing a D E Filter

You must clean the grids with dishwasher powder or tsp first. Then soak the grids in a the acid solution after all the previous solution has been hosed off. Do not soak them in the filter body. Use a plastic tub to soak them.

Thank you for the info. The issue I have is the pool company who closed my pool in the fall glued the grid manifold into the filter body. I would have to crack the pvc tube off and replace it in order to get the grids out. What would happen if I soaked the grids in the filter body? Thanks again

Are you sure that the manifold is glued in? Sometimes they're just hard to get off of the standpipe. If it's really glued in, I think that the standpipe is just 2" pvc pipe. You could cut the pipe to get the grids out and then use a 2" schedule 40 pvc coupling the put it back together. Just be sure to get the height of the standpipe back to its original length. Once you get the grids apart, hose them down. That's usually enough. If they need more than that, it's probably time for new grids. You could soak them in tsp. Acid is rarely needed and should be avoided as much as possible.

Update: The standpipe is 2" pvc. If the manifold really is glued, you can cut the pipe and reconnect it with a regular schedule 40 pvc coupling. A few tips:

1) If you do cut the pipe, measure the height of the manifold before cutting the pipe and make sure the height is exactly the same when reinstalling. The coupling will add about a 1/4", so you would have to cut out about that much to avoid the manifold being too high.

2) When cutting the pipe, put something between the pipe and grids to avoid cutting the grids.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.