Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cloudy water after 4 days of filtering.

1. Back To Top    #1

Los Altos, CA

Cloudy water after 4 days of filtering.

I also have a cloudy pool because I have been using Calcium Hypochlorite to chlorinate the pool due to high CYA levels already present. My sand filter does not do a good or quick job of filtering out the calcium component. I have gone over to liquid chlorine exclusively for the last two weeks and my pool is getting clearer, slowly. My sand filter starts with a reading of about 25 and rises to about 30 before backwashing. I am in the California water shortage so I cannot replace the water to reduce CYA. Also, I only run my filter for a few hours a day so it takes time to clear the cloud.

Moderator comment: This post was separated out from this thread: Cloudy water after 4 days of filtering.

2. Back To Top    #2
    DFW, Texas

Re: Cloudy water after 4 days of filtering.

Good move on going to liquid bleach for chlorine.

It will take time to filter out the calcium from the cal-hypo. Same thing happened to me when I used Cal-Hypo for "shocking" before I learned about TFP. It will eventually clear. If you want it to clear faster, increase the pump run time a couple of hours a day until it does clear.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.