Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Hardness

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Hardness

What is the most cost effective way to increase calcium hardness? We are getting a lot of rain here in Houston and it been getting expensive to maintain the proper calcium hardness levels (250-350).
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Hardness

I am in the same boat. I just added 5 pounds and it brought me from 210 to 250. Had to add a lot of CYA also. You can purchase calcium increaser at Walmart. Below is a link to Amazon for the same thing. My wife said Walmart was the cheapest she found.

Amazon.com: Pool Mate 1-2808B Calcium Increaser for Swimming Pools, 8-Pound: Patio, Lawn Garden
    Gunite/Plaster pool at 13k gallons. All Jandy with CL340 series cartridge filter, 1.5 HP Jandy Stealth pump. Jandy 1400 SWCG and PDA4 controller. Dual waterfalls. Polaris 280. Pool installed August 2012. Southern Louisiana. And lets not forget my trusty TF100 test kit!

3. Back To Top    #3

Lowe's sell a 50lb bag of calcium chloride for $ 18.97. This seems to be a much more cost effective approach to increasing calcium levels. Do you know if it is OK to use this product?
    I live in the Albany NY area. The size of my pool is 24,000 gallons. The pool is an In-Ground rectangular Double Roman with a vinyl liner. I am using a Taylor K-2006 water testing kit. I have a DE filter. I have a regular chlorine pool. The pool cleaner is a 2017 Dolphin Premier Robotic In-Ground pool cleaner.

4. Back To Top    #4

Morton sell it as ice melter but you are so far south I doubt you have a need for ice melter.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/for-your-b...lcium-chloride

You can check the where to buy on that page, maybe a local hardware store can order you a bag from their warehouse? Ace hardware maybe? walmart ship to store?

I got a bunch last spring on closeout
    I consider myself very lucky I found this site before the pool store found me-pool owner since Nov 2008- Stunningly clear 17,000 gal fiberglass pool, thanks to this site, installed in 1982-24" 3.1sq. ft sta-rite sand filter, 1 hp - 2 speed wisperflo pump-WFDS-4

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, we've got the same problem. Rain, rain, rain. After we dumped 110lb of salt in, it poured and we had to drain water off! GRRRRR. AND I agree, that calcium stuff is expensive. it costs us $50 each time. Can we use calcium whatever from Lowe's????? anyone?
    19k SW IG
    Wet Edge pebble tech = new 5/16 (replaster)
    Hayward variable speed pump (new 6/17) /Shark for cleaning
    New - filled 10/18/14 - TFP 100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

CH has been dropping the last 2 months with all this rain. Started out at 375 when i first got the TF-100, now down to 325 this weekend. Tested the fill water and found that there is almost no calcium in our water. One drop and it changed color. So in the near future we'll be needing to add calcium to keep the pool balanced. Just one more thing to keep an eye on in having a balanced pool. CH up, Ph down and FC steady is going the be the summer program. Oh, and keep the trash that the wind and rain keep putting into the pool out
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir